JL 500/1 can someone help repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am a long time viewer of these forums, have seen a lot of knowledgeable people help others repairing their amplifiers and was wondering if I can get a little help repairing mines. I received this JL 500/1 from a friend who had it laying around and when I opened it up I noticed a melted capacitor and a cylinder right next to it that seems to be coming apart:confused:. Any ideas on what cap that might be? Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0447.jpg
    IMAG0447.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0448.jpg
    IMAG0448.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG0449.jpg
    IMAG0449.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 163
Woah looks pretty bad, but I believe I seen someone here with the same problem (but it was a 1000/1) and they got it fixed so there is hope.

First thing I would suggest is getting some q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol and start cleaning up that hole area. Remove the damage component (capacitor in this case), and do some more cleaning.

If that yellow coil got its insulation melted from the wire it may be no good. So clean that up good as well to just visually check the enamel insulation on the wire.

Woah looks pretty bad, but I believe I seen someone here with the same problem (but it was a 1000/1) and they got it fixed so there is hope.

First thing I would suggest is getting some q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol and start cleaning up that hole area. Remove the damage component (capacitor in this case), and do some more cleaning.

If that yellow coil got its insulation melted from the wire it may be no good. So clean that up good as well to just visually check the enamel insulation on the wire.

Thank you so much for replying, I will remove the capacitor and clean up the whole are as suggested. I connected it today and amp turned on just no output but I guess that is expected when a whole capacitor is melted off the board.

That cap blew up simply because it saw more voltage than what its rated. Maybe severe clipping cause this.

I think you are right, the person that had it used it with the gains turned all the way. I guess they figured it was a volume knob. Any idea on where I can get a replacement capacitor and I am still trying to figure out what that white thing is in the picture next to the blue capacitors. Thanks.

This may be a suitable replacement cap at Digikey, part number 495-4102-ND

The white block is a 10 Ohm, 10 Watt resistor. This may be a suitable replacement at Digikey, part number 10W-10-ND

Before ordering those parts, you need to determine if the outputs are shorted (Q504, Q505, Q506, & Q507).

You also need to detemine if the power supply FETs are shorted (Q600-Q607) and if the 47 Ohm gate resistors have burned open. If they have shorted and burned, you'll need to check the little driver transistors also (Q608-Q611)

With this kind of damage, expect more to be to be wrong than you can see in these amps.

I hope this helps you get a start on it.

Thank you for that. How can I determine if the outputs are shorted? I have a multimeter to test resistance but would the amp need to have power applied to it? Visually inspecting the parts you have mentioned they show no sign of being burned or anything like that but I am aware that internally they may be bad. I can post more pics to show those areas if necessary.

I have a jl audio 500/1 amp myself that I need help with. I posted a new thread. Just waiting for the moderators to post it. Its not quite as bad as your amp though. :confused: There seems to be some educated and smart people that help users on this forum. I hope I can get some help myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.