cell phone thru washing machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small MP3 player with a non-removable battery that has been through the wash 3 times (never the dryer) and it functions fine. I left it sit on a table for 3 or 4 days each time before trying to charge it.

For the phone, to remove the battery and let it dry is good advice. I don't believe the 'sealed container of rice thing' is good advice no matter what anyone says - you'd be better off taking off whatever cases or covers you can and putting it somewhere with dry air blowing on it.

If placed in anything other than pure water, electronics often needs washing with water to remove contamination. Use tap water, then deionised water (or, perhaps, deionised water plus some isopropanol). If not, the item may fail a few weeks later when a film of bacteria grow on the remaining sugar/gunge etc. and somehow create conducting paths.

I did none of those things.
My mobile cost the princely sum of £19.95 three years ago and when I dropped it in the coke about a year ago I just thought if it doesn't work when it's dry I'll just get another one.
When and if this Nokia ever dies I'll get one of those water- and shock-proof Samsungs. I don't think I'll ever get a smart phone. There are functions on that twenty quid Nokia I never used, on a smartphone there will be just more functions I won't use.

I'm much more annoyed that my swiss watch didn't survive its trip through the washing machine but then since I got a mobile I'm not wearing any watch anymore anyway. I might get it repaired so I can sell the watch though since they more than double in price since I got it there might be a few hundred pounds in profit to be had.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.