Fostex FF 225 WK for T.V. and Movie's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I have been looking at this driver for awhile now. Well I am thinking of getting a pair of these drivers for t.v.and movie dutys. I just am looking for an easy driver to work with. I will add a super tweeter at 5, 000 on up. What type or kinda of tweeter I have no idea? The main reason I am looking to build theses is the t.v. is not loud enough and this speaker is easy to run with a few watts. So tell me what you think? N.S. I will be putting them in a floor standing tower.

The FF225WK has a smooth sound that will not cause fatigue and it will have good bass in a simple bass reflex enclosure. Bass is important for movies, hence it should work well, probably better than the suggested tang band unless you have space for big boxes.
Indeed you'll need a tweeter that you may be able to cross higher than 5K.
But, I think you should not connect the speaker to the TV amp as previously noted. use a cheap digital amp perhaps.

I've used FF225WK for a good while for TV and movies, did a good job of it. I had them in small Karlson enclosures, which helped loading them on passages with lots of LFE, but a simple reflex should be just fine if you don't go nuts with volume. A QB3 alignment (37L tuned to 48Hz) looks good to me. A super-tweeter is indeed a good idea. I've made the little FT17H work on them.

IG

The FF225WK is at its best with girl-and-a-guitar, jazz trio, small-band classical. It needs a tweeter and the FT17H is a good match. If you only watch network TV, the FF225WK's will be plenty loud enough. If you watch action blue-rays, you will definitely need a substantial subwoofer.

For this application, the W8-1772 is a better choice, and once you factor in the mandatory tweeters, it almost the same price.

Bob

Does it offer better bass than the FF225WK?

Well of course that depends on the enclosure, and since the 225 is the only one the new WK series I've not yet heard, I guess you could decide whether the following tells you enough;

M18-T772

M18-F225

In US, the TangBands are not quite twice the price of Fostex - but due to the vagaries of international distribution, tariffs, etc, that price differential might not be global.

To expand on an earlier question, were you considering only 2 channels, or planning ultimately to expand the system to full blown surround system?

After some disappointing results with an earlier compromised attempt at multichannel HT rig, I reverted to stereo pair of FE167E, powered by mid powered tube amp. Then about 2 years ago I took another stab at 5.1 with a newer HT receiver - man have they ever come a long way in the past few years, in terms of feature set, ease of set up and performance value. Any way, I'd never go back to 2 channel only, even if only for broadcast TV. Thanks to highspeed / HD cable service, the quality is more than good enough for my own needs - of course hard-core cine-philes would scoff at that, but just call me a honey badger (OK. I'm not that tough, but I sure don't give a .... what others think)

Oh ya, I think Bob & others have already said that the W8-1772 doesn't really need a tweeter, thereby narrowing the "final landed cost" of the system.

Last edited:
There are other issues with the TB-W8:

1) As an 8 incher, high frequency dispersion is narrow. Beaming will not be pleasant particularly in movie applications where widest dispersion is preferred.

2)As Bob mentioned earlier, the highs definitely need to be tamed with multiple passive components. The 225 WK can be run without passive filters or crossovers and the supertweeter can be high passed with a single inexpensive small cap and resistor. Even a ribbon tweeter like Neo Cd3 can be used for widest dispersion.

Last edited:
To the OP, when watching tv or movies even at lower volumes a small sub will help substantially. Get a used home theater amp in the 5.1 variety. Craigslist and $50 will get you a good ampl. Run it 2-channel stereo with the sub and be happy. It opens up the available speakers for you since you have the amp.

I have tried my hometheater with full range only speakers. Had 5 FE167E in the recommended fostex cabinet. Sounded good but when I added the sub it was eye opening. YMMV

MPM; amen to that, but if I might suggest that if by the "recommended" box for FE167E you meant the small BR enclosure, it certainly doesn't deliver all the LF response of which the driver is capable.

For any of the candidate drivers, a floor-standing MLTL would certainly make the most sense.

Soundaatam - IINM neither of the recommended enclosure designs for the FE167E were BLH - http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/167e_enclrev.pdf

The design with bottom mounted port forming part of the stand is actually rather ingenious, but I only ever built the standard BR - quite underwhelming in terms of bass response compared to much larger floorstanding designs (circa 28 liters, IIRC)
Fonken-167-trio-tn.jpg

edit: FWIW, net volume approx 23 liters

Last edited:
Hello everyone and thank you for all of your input. Well if I posted it wrong I will not be using the out put on my t.v. to run the speakers. I have a Dayton dta 100 a T amp and a killer 2 channel jvc amp for free from a friend of mine. I will have to do more research on both drivers and then buy. Thank s again N.S.

"not needing a sub..."

Rather subjective, IMO.

Up until fairly recently, I would've agreed. But now that I've half a kilowatt and a pair of long-throw 12"s that have output sub-20Hz, I'd say that, if disturbing people with LF isn't a concern, the best way to spend the money would be a couple of standmount speakers and a powerful subwoofer. Or two.

To the OP, if you're ever going to want to rock out with these speakers, forget the Tang Bands. They'll hit the harsh paper-cone-in-break-up sound once things get turned up on complex sounds (eg, rock music), and the only fix is to turn it down again. Not much use for air guitar, then.
The Fostexes are much better in that regard, but need a tweeter.

At the cheaper end of the scale, I'd strongly consider a pair of Behringer B2031P speakers. They can, if called upon, do subtlety and detail. In the same second they can fill a very large (20m by 10m) room with loud rock music. This, IMO, is what a stereo ought to be able to do: play anything you like, as loud as you like, no complaints.

I've direct experience with all 3, and would probably take the Behringers plus subwoofer every time, with the Fostexes in 2nd.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.