Are those chinese LM3886 kits any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Link opens ebay.com home page. If you`re asking about the XY offerings, I think there were at least two threads about them on this forum. Most complaints were about poor customer support and incomplete schematics, If I remember correctly. Do a search, you should be able to find those discussions.

I bought one for my first amplifier. I haven't used it very extensively as i'm still in the process of building the enclosure and waiting on a couple more parts like a pot, binding posts, etc. Over all it seems to work fairly well. The seller was 'hifispot168' I also picked up some speaker protection boards and my transformer from him.

He shipped via fedex for free (I'm guessing because it was a decent sized order) only I think I got screwed since fedex sent me a letter saying I had to pay import fees or something - haven't followed up on that yet.

For the power board one of the caps arrived damaged, the seller was happy to send me a replacement but I was eager so I ended up ordering 4 replacements of probably of better quality from digikey.

The schematics were pretty pitiful but it's pretty obvious where things go if you use a bit of common sense. The only tricky thing was I couldn't figure out the polarity of the caps he sent me - i'll have to post a picture here sometime.

The amplifier inside a working power amp is relatively cheap.
Expect the amplifier to be ~ 10% of the total cost.
The chassis and heatsink ~30%, the transformer and PSU ~30%, the chassis hardware and wiring ~30%.
Instead of spending $20 on a cheap amplifier for a total cost of ~$200, why don't you look at a better amplifier costing $40, for a slightly dearer $220 total.
Or, make it a two channel, using two $40 amplifiers, for a total cost of $260.
Saving a few dollars on the amplifier by buying complete rubbish from China is false economy.

that is very correct. i vas thinking of building a 5ch class A/B amp for surround. With 5 pc L10 amps.
L10 amps = $125 + $30 in shipping
Tx+PSU = $250 + $105 in shipping
heatsinks = $160 + $65 in shipping
DIY chassis = $200
grand total of $935 +25% taxes
thats about 15% of total cost. With 5 ch in one chassis. and with one common PSU and transformer.
so if i'm going to build a 5ch. i'll build the honey badger insted:)

Last edited:
The amplifier inside a working power amp is relatively cheap.
Expect the amplifier to be ~ 10% of the total cost.
The chassis and heatsink ~30%, the transformer and PSU ~30%, the chassis hardware and wiring ~30%.
Instead of spending $20 on a cheap amplifier for a total cost of ~$200, why don't you look at a better amplifier costing $40, for a slightly dearer $220 total.
Or, make it a two channel, using two $40 amplifiers, for a total cost of $260.
Saving a few dollars on the amplifier by buying complete rubbish from China is false economy.

Yeah i'm learning that right now. I started with ~$100 (transformer, lm3886, powerboard) and i'm etching into the $300 total area.

Mind you that extra $200 is all stuff that is mostly reusable (case, pot, knobs, binding posts, etc) I also ordered extras of most parts and some parts were more costly simply because I was impatient.

Only hard part i'm having is the case, I find nice ones on ebay and other places but the shipping ends up being more than the cost of the case.

I think I locked down my choice to a Hammond 1444-33CWW from digikey which is cheaper/free shipping (on orders over $200)

My 3886 home build uses the chipamp.com boards, and the quality is top notch. The case I got through the ebay-china connection, and it is the only thing I recomend from china. Nice thick aluminum, lots of extra hardware, along with a throw away power switch and IEC connector, $85 after shipping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.