8" Radio Shack Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of new Radio Shack drivers catalog #40-1043. Rated at 25 W, 50W peak, 50-18,000hz, 8 oz. magnet, 90db sensitivity, 8ohm impedance. They are a paper cone, foam surround with a whizzer cone.

I am looking for suggestions for enclosures for these speakers. I will probably be using a little T-amp to drive them, with my computer or I-pad as input. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bob,
You have a Voigt pipe design for a RS 1354 driver that looks quite good. Could this be scaled up for the OP's 8 inch driver based on your suggested scaling rule of thumb? Throat set as Sd and mouth area set as 4xSd?
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jstalnak/web/VoightPipeSpeakers/#Brines
Having no TS parameters available prevents one from simulating this box. But it might not be a bad start? Is the main difference between your Voigt pipe design and one suggested above is the terminus area?

Bob,
You have a Voigt pipe design for a RS 1354 driver that looks quite good. Could this be scaled up for the OP's 8 inch driver based on your suggested scaling rule of thumb? Throat set as Sd and mouth area set as 4xSd?
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jstalnak/web/VoightPipeSpeakers/#Brines
Having no TS parameters available prevents one from simulating this box. But it might not be a bad start? Is the main difference between your Voigt pipe design and one suggested above is the terminus area?

nostalgia time eh, Bob? you've come a long way since 2001 :D

nostalgia time eh, Bob? you've come a long way since 2001 :D

Yea. Once I heard the difference between a $100 driver and a $10 driver, I haven't looked back.

If the 40-1043 has a Qts anywhere near 1.0, there is zero chance of making it work in a TWQT. As I remember, the 40-1254a had a Qts somewhere around 0.5, and it works much better in a MLTL. A really high Qts driver needs to be in a OB or IB.

Bob

Since no one seems to have measured the T/S parameters of your particular driver, we are all in the dark. There seems to be some anecdotal data, nothing concrete, however there is the Eight Ounce magnet motor, not particularly good for Qes. I'm assuming your really not up to purchasing a T/S parameter device.....one used to determine the specs of your driver....because it'll cost ya!
Go right ahead & build a sealed enclosure.....my "guess", anecdotal dimensions would be 13.75 " by 17.25 " by 11 " Putting the driver offset at 33/66 on the Eleven inch panel.

_________________________________________________Rick...........

Yea. Once I heard the difference between a $100 driver and a $10 driver, I haven't looked back.

If the 40-1043 has a Qts anywhere near 1.0, there is zero chance of making it work in a TWQT. As I remember, the 40-1254a had a Qts somewhere around 0.5, and it works much better in a MLTL. A really high Qts driver needs to be in a OB or IB.

Bob
Well, that depends, I guess. I have drivers with approx 0.7 qts, but they are very sensitive, 96 dB. They work well in my tqwts.

I made a huge TWQT cabinet for my pair. They sounded nice, I left the whizzer in there but used about 5 grams of long fiber acoustic fluff, rolled slightly in my hands and gently pushed it behind the whizzer. That really cleaned them up especially around 1kz.
They were nice speakers, I fried the voice coils setting up a 5.1 amp.
pm me and I'll look up the dimensions.
I plan on buying a nicer pair of 8" full range for the cabs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.