Audigy 2 loud crackling sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I have just put my hands on an old Creative Audigy 2 sound card. The problem with it is after i install the drivers there is a loud crackling sound coming from all of the channels. Interesting thing is that it doesn`t start crackling until windows enters desktop and the sound card`s driver loads. My thought first was that it has some kind of power related problem or a faulty power filtering cap, however it is very difficult to measure when it is installed on the motherboard. Please help :(

If you happen to have a Via motherboard chipset that is a very old problem of the Audigy card and Via motherboard chipsets/drivers fighting each other. Goes back to Audigy 1 and the Sound Blaster Live before that. I collectively spent about 2 months of my life debugging that issue a long time ago on a large number of boxes with Sound Blaster Live cards. :) See post #34 here

[RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum - Page 3

...and like the post says, the solution is to download the latest Via drivers at Via Arena:

Arena: Main News

If you don't have a Via chipset I would still suspect the motherboard chipset fighting the Audigy. If you haven't already, try downloading the latest drivers for that chipset. Also try moving the Audigy to a different slot on the bus (different shared IRQs on PCI) - that will solve it a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. A have an Asus motherboard with AMD 880G chipset. However I have resolved the problem. Turns out i was right. I have changed the capacitors around it`s voltage regulators and now it works like a charm. The only thing that bothers me right now is that the hiss level is a bit high for me and i wonder is this just this card or that`s a problem with all Audigy 2 cards. My Audigy SE didn`t hiss this loud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.