Server power supplies, any good for audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I got involved with these things when needing a strong PS for running hi amp battery chargers. I couldn't help but wonder if they would have a use in audio. They are relatively inexpensive for the amount of power they produce so I thought I would ask. I'll list this one as an example, but there are several that are similar. This one I am familiar with an it puts out 47A at 12.6VDC.

So what are the pros and cons of using such a power supply for audio?

Thanks, Terry

They put out Regulated DC and pretty good current. There is also a voltage share pin so they will match each other. I know they are only 12.6V but at 50 amps they should be able to drive a healthy load. I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried them for audio amp usage.

They appear to be ideal for powering 12V car amps at home. That would be the most sensible way to use them.

I knew they would do that. I wondered about using them as a replacement for the normal transformer/CRC setup. I have a few that are set up for 24V, 47A power to run high powered battery chargers. It could easily be split at a +/- 12.6V 600W power supply.

The voltages just don't seem useful unless you happen to be driving very low impedances, like an array of speakers or, perhaps a servo motor. Stacking a bunch of them would be OK for the test bench, but not an elegant way to power amps in the living room if it takes 8 to 12 of them.

What's the ripple like?

If you used 4 of them you could have +/- 25VDC 700W. However, that would be with 4 fans running. It would be pretty loud.

The units in the first two pics in post #9 can be run without the fans if you could get them ventilation. The other unit has to see the fan turning or it shuts down.

The beauty of these is you can get them for a song. I usually get them for under $30 for a pair. I have used them at 40A continuous all day without a problem.

Very interesting. I would be happy to test for that if someone can tell me what to do to find it. I have a scope and a couple multimeters but I don't know how to look for induced noise. I also have a couple DIY amps that are bare bones that I could hook them up to and look that way. I have a Symasym that is just open and mounted to a heatsink. I believe it will run on 24V rails.

I hooked it up to one of the Symasym boards. Just 12V rails. I will have to lift the DC ground from the AC ground so I can run them in series for 24V rails. Actually. I will have to lift the DC from each unit if I want to use my scope. Either that or I have to disable the AC ground because as it is, the center tap measures 12.2V to the AC ground which shorts to the ground on the scope lead. IIRC, when I had lifted the DC ground on both units I got and AC ripple to ground. Probably need some sort of filter. I'll keep after it and see if I can resolve it. Funny, the Symasym actually plays on 12V rails. Not great, but it plays.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.