Help with best enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Total newb to speaker building. Been reading this great forum for awhile.

I'd like some help to determine the best enclosure for the Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speaker.

Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speaker 264-918

I'd like a larger cabinet to get a little more bass. A very simple enclosure would be great (bass reflex?) as I don't have the tools to build complex boxes.

I can't find much info on these drivers, as far as boxes are concerned.

Any help with actual box dimensions would help me out big time.

Also would like to know if there is any Free software available for Macs to calculate enclosures.

Thanks in advance.....:)

ODougbo did a BR derivative for these. We had ours (the neo version) in a Frugel-Horn Mk3 (needs the added supraBaffle) where it did well.

dave

I really like the Mk3 design and bet they sound great but I just don't have the budget for the flat pac and shipping cost. Need to do this first project on the cheap and learn from my mistakes. In fact I am interested in the MA 10.2, but for the first time I wanna spend less ( plus the fact is they seem to be nowhere to be found).

Will any of the Pensils work for the TB? (with some alterations?)

After playing my W5-1611s for years in a flat-five inspired DBR box, with which I did manage to achieve ~40hz extension, I'm personally planning to make the transition to either a MLTL or a TL/horn hybrid. See the following posts for a compact MLTL design that should provide good bass extension:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/226734-tl-design-box-w5-1611sa-3.html#post3324385

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/226734-tl-design-box-w5-1611sa-3.html#post3455774

And here is a bass horn/TL hybrid design that should work well with the W5.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/BLH_Design_Article.pdf

Here is my in-room frequency response for the W5-1611 double bass reflex, just posted to show the bass extension. Keep in mind that in this configuration, a 5" driver like this will only give you the impression of deep bass. I expect a TL or a horn, which their greater control over the driver, to perform somewhat better in this regard.

Attachments

• W5-1611 DBR .jpg
    W5-1611 DBR .jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 626
Greets!

‘Best’ is a ‘moving target’ dependent on many variables, but a simple tower floor-standing vented alignment [aka MLTL] seems a good choice:

52” H
50”^2 WxD
driver down 15.25”
vent down 41.625”
vent diameter 2”
vent length 0.75”

All dims i.d. and approximate. Suggest lining one side, top and back with 1” acoustic fiberglass or similar or stuff with polyfil or similar just enough to keep it from sounding hollow. Mass loading relatively lightweight cabs is a good plan, so recommend adding weight to the top. Due to being top heavy [even if there’s no added top weight], best to provide a massive base or at least a large ‘footprint’ leg system to compensate.

If made from no-void 0.75” thick material, no bracing is required with such a small, low linear output driver.

It may need some baffle step compensation [BSC] EQ to sound tonally balanced in room: General Speaker Related Articles

No clue about Mac speaker design software other than it’s still a rarity, so folks use other software to allow some PC programs to run on them.

GM

Attachments

• TB W5-1611-SAF 42 Hz MLTL.gif
    TB W5-1611-SAF 42 Hz MLTL.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 607
‘Best’ is a ‘moving target’ dependent on many variables, but a simple tower floor-standing vented alignment [aka MLTL] seems a good choice:

52” H
50”^2 WxD
driver down 15.25”
vent down 41.625”
vent diameter 2”
vent length 0.75”

Thanks GM, that seems like a tall bad boy! :D
Could you run the width and depth dimensions for me again... is it 5" for W & D?

Wonder why no Mac software...very odd. Maybe I need to buy a cheap PC :eek:

Thanks GM, that seems like a tall bad boy! :D
Could you run the width and depth dimensions for me again... is it 5" for W & D?

Wonder why no Mac software...very odd. Maybe I need to buy a cheap PC :eek:

You’re welcome!

50"^2 = 50^0.5 = ~7.07" W x ~7.07" D, but you can change either or both just so long as they sum to ~50"^2.

Using the Golden, or an acoustic ratio is normally a good plan to average out its internal eigenmodes [standing waves] to keep damping to a minimum, but again, this cab is small enough that damping will be sufficient regardless of its WxD dimensions.

I guess Mac users prefer to buy B0$3 or similar concept speaker systems rather than DIY. ;)

GM

GM, can you fold/taper that MLTL and get comparable results?

Sure, though tapered [TQWT] would require a redesign. If you just want tapered to make the internal baffle/brace be offset, then make the closed end ~34.66”^2 and the vent end ~75”^2 or some mean value between the two.

This theoretically yields a slightly more efficient vent gain, so you might want to try a 1” or longer vent.

GM

Still trying to figure out what I want to do. The more I read, the more boggled I get.
Wondering now if I should wait til the Alpair 10.2 is in stock ( somewhere) or wait for the 10.3. The more reading on the Tang Band I do, the more I think the 10.2's are a better choice, quality/sound wise... although more dough.

I guess a cheaper driver would be good to practice with.

If there are any people on the forum who live in the Vancouver area, I wanted to ask the best place to get baltic birch from ( the good stuff). I only know of Windsor Plywood.

TIA

Hello from across the Patullo. Can't help with Baltic Birch nor can I make a suggestion about the Alpair but maybe planet10 will chime in and help with your decisions.

Hi Cal, boy are you correct, I am a stones throw from the Patullo! If I was any closer I'd be sitting on the bridge deck. :eek:

I'm just thinking the the MA drivers are better quality and there is more info/plans for them. Couldn't find too much on those TB's I was lookin at.

So with that said, I wonder when the 10.2/3's will arrive... July? Aug.
Hurry up and wait....

I guess Mac users prefer to buy B0$3 or similar concept speaker systems rather than DIY. ;)

GM

lols* Its kinda true...

Ive installed Winebottler with Wine + X11 to run Hornresp and Akabak. Couple of years back on an iBook I managed to get Mathcad going with X11 so I guess MJKs mathcad sheets is a probability

Theres issues with import/export functions with Winebottler and my swedish keyboard setup doesnt allow me to input decimal points in Hornresp. Other than that its running fine

I have the W5-1611 and Im learning to run sims for it. Definitely gonna try out your suggestion for a cabinet. Thanks :)

Regards /Bo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.