Need advice : Two way with RAAL 140-15D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
need some advice about mid woofer to use with RAAL 140-15D to make some nice two way loudspeaker.
(probably active, as I have enough amplifiers and dcx)

I have made some big 2.5 loudspeakers but never finished them as they are to big for my room

So now I need something smaller, and need advice which driver to use with RAAL.
(scan speak,dynaudio, audiotechnology,accuton...)

(don't know when I will procide with this project, but have RAAL in my closet for last 4-5 years and would like to put it in use)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks
Josip

tnx Scott but never heard of them...try google but that didn't help
(I really don't have money to play, and cant use number of different drivers...so the one I buy I will have to stick with them for a long time...there's no room for experimenting and playing with different drivers)

would like to go with something that people have heard and was thinking about audiotechnology 18H52 ?

Last edited:
the 140-15d is high sens, could prob cross around 1.5-1.8khz, i do suggest some bigger pro woofers, Eminence kappalite 12, deltalite12 (neo) or the AE TD12H that would prob the best out there.

do u have masurement mic? if not, dayton omnimic (hardware and software) is a good start or dayton/behringer mic calibrated by crossspectrum with usb/firewire audio interface but you will need third party software such as holmimpulse, REW.

without measurement in your own cabinet, you wont get optimized xover even in active.

cheers
henry

Last edited:
200x299px-LL-2ce12066_Arcus2.jpeg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this one used ae td10m, 94db but fs 40hz.
AE Speakers Online Store

Last edited:
im not sure why , although i dont have experience with it and i did notice some other members of this or other forums do suggested they prefer to cross higher as you suggested.

RAAL do suggest LR4 @1.6khz.

if need 3khz, then in 2way SB Satori would be a good contender with some trade-offs.

tnx Scott but never heard of them...try google but that didn't help
(I really don't have money to play, and cant use number of different drivers...so the one I buy I will have to stick with them for a long time...there's no room for experimenting and playing with different drivers)

would like to go with something that people have heard and was thinking about audiotechnology 18H52 ?

You might try private mailing system7 about Bandor drivers:

diyAudio - View Profile: system7

This seems to come up every few months on some forum somewhere. Raal says you CAN cross as low as 1.6KHz, but Face is right, you really want to keep it btw 2.5-3KHz for best performance. I've played with them used anywhere from 1.5 - 4KHz. Higher is better...at least for the Raal.

Now this makes it tough to do a 2 way well. A smaller woofer is better for dispersion, but then again not so good usually for sensitivity or low end performance. You won't get smooth, hi sens AND low end extension in one driver, so you've got to make a compromise.

You want to look for something with a smooth top end and little to no break-up. Probably no larger than a 6 1/2".

Maybe the SB Satori MW165 that Zaph recently tested would be a nice choice.

Greg

Thanks everyone for advices
will read more about every driver suggested...

I do have behringer mic,but I wasn't smart enough to buy calibrated one...but for some basic measurements it will do...have work with holmi and some little time with arta

About sensitivity ;
Is it a big issue as I will go active ? Every driver will have it's own amp to drive?

Hi
need some advice about mid woofer to use with RAAL 140-15D to make some nice two way loudspeaker.
(probably active, as I have enough amplifiers and dcx)

I have made some big 2.5 loudspeakers but never finished them as they are to big for my room

So now I need something smaller, and need advice which driver to use with RAAL.
(scan speak,dynaudio, audiotechnology,accuton...)

(don't know when I will procide with this project, but have RAAL in my closet for last 4-5 years and would like to put it in use)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks
Josip

Hi,

Here are a couple of links of RAAL measurements that could help you choose suitable cross-over frequency:

RAAL 140-15D Measurements
RAAL 140-15D Ribbon Tweeter

The Satori 4 ohm mid-woofer could possibly be a good match.

SB Acoustics “Satori” MW16P-4 Measurements

Regards

/Göran

P.S. Studiotech etc... has anyone measured a "LATEST" AES Lambda TD6M speaker ... some claims of a new surround smoothing SPL/freq are interesting.

Not sure, I stopped following AE progress at some point during the group buy fiasco over at AVS. I like drivers that I can depend on a good supply. Sad when it's easier to import a Raal from Serbia than trust a timely delivery from the good old USA. I see now that there is another group buy, so I still don't trust the availability for drivers outside of the buy. What have you seen or heard?

Back when I initially reported what I found with the TD6, I got the usual "well it must be how you measured it" reply. No other driver in the same enclosure did what I measured with the TD6. Nothing else ever followed that fact in the discussion on the AE forum. I'm not trying to badmouth John, because I think he makes a terrific product, but running the day to day business seems to be a weak point for him. Tough business to be in as a small quantity provider.

Greg

Thanks everyone for advices
will read more about every driver suggested...

About sensitivity ;
Is it a big issue as I will go active ? Every driver will have it's own amp to drive?

With active, you can pretty much match up any sensitivity drivers you like, BUT it's always a shame to throw away free dB's, you know. Dynamically, the system will always perform better if you do not have to attenuate the tweeter too much.

Greg

Thanks, for advices...
so, SB Satori would be nice choice, and I think I will go that way...
will write email to Bendor as Scott sugested and see that option also...

Thanks once again, I will get back for some more advices once I buy drivers as am like newbie even as I have build one pair of loudspeakers (but newer fineshed them).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.