Dayton 5.1 Home Theatre System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I actually own a set of these, mostly because tey are so cheap. I honestly was SO shocked by what they are capable of. I even recommend them to some of my install customers when they have a particular budget to work with. For one of my customers who had a large room and a relatively small budget, I installed a set of these, but inserted the 10" Titanic Sub (the PE kit) in place of the little one they come with. I was once again shocked. These little things sound very full and are capable of as much home-theater-worthy volume as any other 5channel mini-sat system out there. And I was also impressed with what that little sub can do. It's a 6 1/2 in a bandpass, but get's as loud as a healthy 8" sub. Perfect for a small home theater that wants good bass, but doesn't want to shake the walls.

Honestly that has to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck deals of all time. These would be great for PC use, but are so good I would almost consider them overkill.

hey thanks for the reply man :)
alot of ppl have been telling me they sucked..and they dont actually OWN them..lol

what amp do you use? Im a bit noobish when it comes to speakers... how would i go about using these on my Pc?
also..theres no such thing as overkill when it comes to pcs :D
I was actually considering buying 300$ speakers"Megaworks 650"
but i want to weigh my options.

If i add 1 more satellite to the daytons would it be TRUE 6.1?
because i have a 6.1 sound card and would liek to take advantage of it.

Thanks.

Yeah, if you get the Dayton set, you can also order a pair of the sattelite's for 30 bucks. You'll have one extra, but you never know when you might need that. I should also mention that the sattelites made a very significant improvement when I broke them in for a couple days, about 40 hours at a normal listening level, not crossed over. Everything seperated out better and the detail really improved, so don't neglect to do that if you want them sounding their best right away. Cause complete break-in could take weeks or more if they are in a PC setup, since volume tends to be low, and sound effects are sparse compared to straight music.

And if you don't yet have a receiver, let me recommend the new Panasonic Pure Digital series. For between 200 and 300 bucks (maybe less) these new technology receivers are about as thin as a standard DVD player, yet push 100 watts to 6 channels, and they are being called the "Krell Killers". Whether they are or not, I know from personal experience that it sounds as good as my 1500$ Sony ES STRDA777. And it will use alot less room on your computer desk. With the money you save in getting the Daytons, another 100 or so dollars can get you that Panasonic from Amazon or Circuit City. The model number might vary by store, but I know it has an "XR45" in it. That should be all you need for a product search on the CC website. There are two models, one is around 300 and one I think is around 500$.

Hope I helped.

hey i saw that receiver on eBay for 279$ BIN
do you know about the Harmon Kardon AVR 25s? a friend told me they are one of the best and I should consider them, he also advised me to get the infinity HTS 20 speakers 5.1 with 12" sub.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059922419&category=39798

Do you have any experience with any Pc/Multimedia speakers?
preferably High end ones, I've been told that Pc systems such as Logitech Z680 are no match for custom HT speakers and that is why im going this route...I'd like to show my geek friends that you dont need THX certified speakers to have an earthquake in the room/house :D

THose Daytons will do anything that a THX certified PC speaker system will do, without you having to pay the extra money to compensate for the company paying Lucasfilm for the certification.:)

You definitely can use a larger sub if you want, but I would definitely recommend you try that Dayton one first, cause another really impressive feature of your PC system could be all the bass you get from such a tiny box.

I have seen the HK. It IS very good, especially because I am pretty sure it has automatic room equalization with a microphone. If you want to spend the extra money, go for it. But in my mind it would be overkill, especially because it isn't nearly as small as the Panasonic. The HK is about as tall as a large VCR, and is VERY deep, which isn't bad, but it depends on how much room you have to spare on your computer desk. Oh, and you can stack stuff on these receivers without a second though because they do not need the kind of ventilation that normal ones need. The Panasonic does not even have any vents on the top.

Actually the HKs are cheaper :)
I've seen alot of them go for under 175$ the guy who reccomened to me bought them for 211$ shipped and after taxes.
I dont plan on puting the receiver on my desk, even though theres soem room fo rit on top, theres a wall unit type thingy in my room where i can put it.

hey do you think these can compare to the daytons?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3060089024&category=1499&rd=1

thanks

Well, obviously these would be better than the Daytons straight away because of the 12" subwoofer. Now, if you had a sub that big to go along with the Daytons, I'd say the major difference would be that the infinitys would be capable of higher volume levels, because they use a 4" mid instead of a 3" (or 3 1/2", not sure) like the Daytons. Chances are that the Infinity's would sound a bit better, but I couldn't tell you for sure. But if you can get that whole setup for $260 like the winner of that auction did, I would do that, cause that's a great price for the sub alone, let alone the whole set.

ooo00o! Thanks for the advice Paul, thats it im getting it! :)
But im still a bit unsure about that receiver my friend reccomended..the AVr 125s.. Im pretty sure the ones you reccomended would beat it...I still dont understand why JJ reccomended them.

well any who, Thanks alot Paul for helping me make a decision.

ND.

Ok, My HK AVR 125 should be coming THIS monday :) (among other things)

I got it for 200$ shipped :D

I've been thinking about what you said...the HTS 20s from Infinity MAY be overkill after all...All the reviews say its amazing but it overpowers small rooms...and umm..I'm in a small room lol..
also my if my current speakers can be this loud i can only imagin a 12" sub..

im thinking of getting the HTS 10s instead they have good specs and are alot cheaper :)

I hope there isnt a BIG sound quality differential...
tell me what you think.

THX.

I got the receiver today...

This thing is a beauty :') unfotunately I cant fully test it.. But I have one "Sansui Classique 770 3 way speaker sytem"
It was given to me a month aog.. and this thing sounds great! its only one tower. Im only using sound from Sat ...I dont know how to connect it to my pc..:(

and I cant connect my Logitech Z-640s on it.. So now I wait for my hTS-20s to arrive..

ND.

Hey ND!

Hey ND ive seen you on the vid forum and just thought i would add my two cents. I am going to be using these speakers for pretty much the same thing (ive got a 22" moniter and this would be in my bedroom so its perfect for games and movies) so ill want to find out wht you think about them. The interesting thing about THX certified means that they sound the same as the stuff at THX and Lucas Labs, yes they usually do sound really good but it just means they all sound uniform (hey just thougth i would tell ya that tid bit lol). Good luck and thanks for all the great info you bring to the vid board.

X

you have the HTS-20's too? lol ...kool
THX is cool but not worth the extra $$ and hype...I've played a THX game and it sounds amazing...(Need for speed underground)
so THX does have its worth..also, their cinema demos are amazing, look for Cimarron,Wings, and Broadway.They sound AMAZING!!! everything shakes....lol

whoa.. 22" monitor is great! what resolution is it? I only have a 17 inch crt...:(

ND-

moniter

hehe, well it'll do 1920 x 1440 @ 75 Hz , it really kicks *** its an NEC multicsync, the pj im doing is basically the one Ace is doing, with the 7" Liliput moniter. I want to use the dayton 5.1's on my comp but i cant decide on what to do for my home theater with my pj, my budget is about $1000 to $1200 with cabinets (before sub and before equipment) so i just dont know what to do

X

ooo0o nice budget...lol nice monitor too, mine only does SXGA,Im using a CRT Projector...I still have 3 OHPs and some panels left...im gonna sell em soon..lol

have you ever connected you PC to your stereo system before?
Im finding this VERY hard and VERY annoying...I connected it correctly and all the wires are in the right places but im not gettin any LFE sounds :(

any who, good luck with your new system let me know how it is :)
Happy holidays too :D

ND

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.