TVC - alternative approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
First, a few pics:

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,106
analog_sa said:
What a nightmare! Can't possibly sound half as good as a simple ELMA/Seiden switch. But it glows and may even have remote...

Although appealing to some, I could never get used to two buttons for changing volume. There is only one way to implement that control and it's the knob.

The metal work and layout is done very nicely though. And I kind of understand the design choices here. Using knobs would change the visual character of the unit and remote is probably easier to implement this way than with knobs. I've seen similar unit on the Bent Audio board selling for $10K, although it's using knobs;)

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=4941&sid=d6e7686ceab6d305128076714a35d4cc

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
tiroth said:
Very nice looking! It looks as though it was a ton of work. How is the sound?

Thanks. I hope to compare the sound of this TVC with some other 'classic' preamps (S&B TX102-based and Sowter) in the next couple of days so I can evaluate its sound more adequately. Technical specifications are quite satisfactory.

analog_sa said:
What a nightmare! Can't possibly sound half as good as a simple ELMA/Seiden switch. But it glows and may even have remote...

Yeah, yeah... I didn't expect to hear a word of praise from you. Nor would I want to. And I bet the only proper way to do it is missionary, right ?:devilr:

Peter Daniel said:
Although appealing to some, I could never get used to two buttons for changing volume. There is only one way to implement that control and it's the knob.
The metal work and layout is done very nicely though.

Thanks. A rotary encoder was implemented in the beta version ;)

Regards

moamps said:

Thanks. I hope to compare the sound of this TVC with some other 'classic' preamps (S&B TX102-based and Sowter) in the next couple of days so I can evaluate its sound more adequately.

So which ones are you using here?

With regards to my S&Bs, initially I was under the impression that TXs dull the highs or take a bit of sparkle at the top end, but after constant using for several weeks, I either got used to it or they simply burned in. They sound very satisfactory now and frankly I don't see a need for an active preamp. They also work well with GC, which are my main amps now.

tg3 said:
What are the DB9 plugs for? Programming the chips? Serial interface for remote control?

BTW, nicely done. :up:

Hi,

one DB9 I will use for remote control from central remote receiver. (simple TTL logic for volume up/dn, input up/dn, on/off and mute) Second connector is DB15 for level-volume control of additional HT preamps/amps control (simplified version with CMOS-like chips - not done yet). All control logic uses basic CMOS IC's(up/dn counters, converters, logic), diodes and signal transistors.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.