Acoustat panel connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What i have done in the past is just take a peace of 14ga. solided copper...like romex an solder a 3/4" peace on the ends of the bias wires an it fites just right....
i solder all my wires to the 121 interfaces now dont use the ends....good luck
Long live Acoustats

The original tip-plug used by Acoustat is Abbatron/HH Smith p/n 108. These are available from many electronic distributors, one of them is Allied Electronics (www.alliedelec.com), their p/n 920-0108, $14.35 for a pack of 25.

Keystone makes a near identical tip-plug(p/n 1601) that you can buy in smaller amounts for $0.40 a piece.
Allied Electronics p/n 70182233.

Alternatively, if you prefer crimp connection to the wires, Molex makes some tip-plugs that I can attest fit well:
Molex p/n 19211-0005 (non-insulate)
Molex p/n 19212-0005 (PVC insulation)
Molex p/n 19213-0011 (Nylon insulation)

Mouser Electronics and Digikey have these in stock.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.I found a supplier here in BC that has some in stock. The solid wire idea is a good one ( I think ) and will try it as soon as I get some practice at soldering. while I'm here should i be getting a certain connector for the white and blue? thanks, Tom.

I put the bair wire in the ends..blue an white .....but like others say spend your money...this is a set an forget...yes if you were taken the wire on an off all the time...but put the bair wire in an get a new cd with the cash! ....
I had Acoustats for 30 years this work fine for me....i think youll get more that way....but it your cash....have fun..good luck..an long live Acoustats

Thanks TYU for that info. I will buy the crimp plugs for the bias ( they were already ordered ) but will use the bare wire for the blue and white. I will hook up the X's on friday and listen to them on saturday after a warm up period. Will report if anyone cares. Thanks again and cheers from BC.:)

The model X's have been wired , warmed up and tested. Upon first listening I missed the height of the 1+1's, but the X's have better bass and a fuller sound, if not quite the imaging of the 1+1's. They are also easier on my 100 wpc hybrid amp. The volume at 11 o'clock is quite loud in my small (11ft. X 14 ) room. Thanks again to those who helped with my questions. Now I am on the hunt for an amp for the 1+1's !:)

The model X's have been wired , warmed up and tested. Upon first listening I missed the height of the 1+1's, but the X's have better bass and a fuller sound, if not quite the imaging of the 1+1's. They are also easier on my 100 wpc hybrid amp. The volume at 11 o'clock is quite loud in my small (11ft. X 14 ) room. Thanks again to those who helped with my questions. Now I am on the hunt for an amp for the 1+1's !:)

Your comments about the differences between the 1+1 and the X (or any of the later Model 3's) are spot-on! In the pre-Spectra days, there was always that set of compromises in the different models that pitted imaging against bass response, etc. The later Spectra models largely addressed those issues due to the segmented approach. Finally Acoustat had a line where each successively larger model simply offered more of the same performance, without the previous trade-offs.

Attachments

• Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg
    Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.