• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

FF165WK Fonken 167?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems my wife doesn't like the Metronomes i built last year with the FF165WK. Time for another speaker build. Would the FF165WK work in the Fonken enclosure? I was also looking at a Back loaded horn or a folded horn. So many choices but none seen designed for the FF165WK. I love the sound of the Metronomes but a little more bottom end would be nice. Anyone have any suggestions?

Seems my wife doesn't like the Metronomes i built last year with the FF165WK. Time for another speaker build. Would the FF165WK work in the Fonken enclosure? I was also looking at a Back loaded horn or a folded horn. So many choices but none seen designed for the FF165WK. I love the sound of the Metronomes but a little more bottom end would be nice. Anyone have any suggestions?

With a bit of tweaking of vent tuning, the floorstanding Fonken design originated for the FE167E would work with 165WK. I think Dave has already done the calculations - I tested an approximation of that with an earlier 167 pair by filling some of the slots with duct-seal.

I'm not so sure a full on BLH would be the best approach for this driver, but an MLTL along the lines of Pensil, or Brines' M12-F165 certainly would make sense. If you're looking for the max bottom end extension, and have the requisite floor space, a BIB would be worth considering - has anyone done that math yet?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For optimum performance a Fonken for the 165 needs to be smaller than the Fonken167 (it will end up the same size with more void to fill in -- or use for a helper woofer). The initial design work has been done, drawings are incomplete.

If you would like to beta test email me.

Note that bass extension will be less than a typical Met or ML-TL but more finessed.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.