• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Primrose(SumR Audio) Toroid GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In an attempt to fill the hole left by Antek, I have contacted Primrose of SumR about a GB for Toroids. While they are more expensive, in theory they should be of higher quality and more suited for HiFi. In an effort to get largest possible discount, We need to try to limit the VA rating of the toroids to two, maybe 3 different power levels. I was thinking 400 and 800 VA. At a quantity of 25, we get about a 12% discount, with qty of 50 bringing about a 25% discount. This is supposed to be per VA rating, but i think he make an exception if we can get the numbers up. He is willing to drop ship to locations, so there will be no added shpping cost over what is normal.
I think the best idea is to post your name and desired values and lets see where this goes.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm thinking 1000VA, and that's for A F-5 Turbo V2. Perhaps I am thinking too big. If this is for F-5 turbo V2 and V3, what is the plan...is a single 400 VA enough for F-5 Turbo V2? I think I put 2 of those in my standard F-5. Is 800 enough for a stereo F-5 Turbo V2? 2 800VA for V3?

Somewhere I got the notion to use 1000VA on a STEREO F-5Turbo V2....
Seems like 800 and 1000 VA may be the best two? single 1000 VA for V2, use 2 800 VA (or 2 1000 VA) for V3? Maybe I'm over estimating the VA needed here?

Thanks, I'm in for something here transformer wise!
Russellc

I'm thinking 1000VA, and that's for A F-5 Turbo V2. Perhaps I am thinking too big. If this is for F-5 turbo V2 and V3, what is the plan...is a single 400 VA enough for F-5 Turbo V2? I think I put 2 of those in my standard F-5. Is 800 enough for a stereo F-5 Turbo V2? 2 800VA for V3?

Somewhere I got the notion to use 1000VA on a STEREO F-5Turbo V2....
Seems like 800 and 1000 VA may be the best two? single 1000 VA for V2, use 2 800 VA (or 2 1000 VA) for V3? Maybe I'm over estimating the VA needed here?

Thanks, I'm in for something here transformer wise!
Russellc

I think 600VA is minimum for V2. I have 400VA and it hums a small bit with ear to cone. You can tell it is working. I would feel fine with 600VA, but would probably choose 800VA. I am getting 600VA because i am doing dual mono.

Rating - qty(25) - qty(50)
400VA - $73 - $65
600VA - $99 - $91
800VA - $117 - $100
1000VA - $139 - $120

List you name and exactly what you want. We might have to narrow things later, but will see how it goes. As long as you understand that things may change, we will be OK. Final price will be determined at closeout.

List names and choices like this:
Justin - 2 x 600VA
gmant123 - 2x400VA
ra7 - 2x400VA

Buzz, Richard's work is more closely aligned with Plitron than Antek, superb transformers. I would suggest that you definitely get him to do his full range of load testing. each unit normally comes with a spec sheet, not sure if he will do every single one that thoroughly, or just take a few and make sure all are to spec. (very thorough, input VA, output VA, offload voltage, loaded voltage, temperature at full load etc)

nobody is looking at potted units? or smaller units?

the international shipping IS rather expensive and not even that good though, so you will see benefit from there being someone in the US to distribute rather than dropship.

Last edited:
Potted units are an option on the 400 and 600 VA units, adding $25-$30, I believe. It is not an option on larger units.

Thanks qusp for the info. I was unsure if folks wanted to spend the extra money.

Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

Last edited:
Potted units are an option on the 400 and 600 VA units, adding $25-$30, I believe. It is not an option on larger units.

Thanks qusp for the info. I was unsure if folks wanted to spend the extra money.

Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

I buy custom toroids from SumR all the time and they are really good quality. Well worth a GB

Do

the reason I mention the testing and that you be very specific as to what you want, is that he rates the units at Full load, so if you are not loading the power supply fully, it will be higher voltage offload. unlike the Antek units, which tbh do not really give you that. so dont just go totally OTT on the VA without keeping that in mind, you dont want to exceed your caps rating because of it.

this isnt as big a deal for Class A since they will be loaded more similarly at all times, but for AB its certainly something that needs to be considered.

you can also spec solid core copper leadouts if you fancy =)

thanks yeah the last day or 2 everything is getting back to normal and i've been playing a bit of catch up, but all good, i'll shoot you an email tonight (your morning), i'm just hitting the bed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.