SRC4192's are on the way... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tryed AD1896

IMHO, The AD1896 sounds smooth but no bass strength, and with no sensation, becaue the data is completly changed! It's garbage.So I don't think the SRC4192/3 can give us an better sound than without it, although its spec is very good.

my dac with ad1896 runs well

tiroth said:
I have some boards for AD1896/AD1853 that would work, but there is some kind of clicking in the left channel. Very annoying. I am wondering if is because I used very early stock AD1896, I know there have been some problems with those.

My DAC DIR1703+AD1896+AD1852 runs well,but the sound is
very "atony" and lack bass.Check the circuit diagram if some sets
wrong.

tiroth said:
I have some boards for AD1896/AD1853 that would work, but there is some kind of clicking in the left channel. Very annoying. I am wondering if is because I used very early stock AD1896, I know there have been some problems with those.

Make sure that the /RESET timing is being correctly met. /RESET must be held low while the rest of the AD1896 powers up, or problems such as clicking may occur.

Brian.:cubist:

I'll have to check ~RESET out Brian--thanks. First time anyone had heard of a similar problem!

I use a global reset, for DIR, ASRC, and DAC (from a reset generator). The PSU is stabilized by that point, but since DIR and ASRC are simultaneously reset the input clocks are not active when ~RESET goes high. Do you really think this could be the reason?

How long did you reset?

My reset circuit use 1u Cap and 20k Res, DIR1703 and AD1896 and AD1852 use separate reset. All of it can reset well.
If one of chips can't reset well ,the problem will come forth.
DIR1703 need 10ms,AD1896 only need 0.2ms,AD1853/2 need 15ns,so if you use DIR1703,check the reset time is enough.

AD1865 said:

Which D/A do you use? My DAC with AD1852 can easily been
heard that the bass have no wallop. Although I use AD811 as
buffer.

I'm using mine with a digital amplifier.

See:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22741

At the present, I can switch back and forth between S/PDIF without ASRC, and MUXIT w/ AD1896 ASRC. There isn't any change in volume or tonal balance.

Have you tried bypassing the AD1896? My suspicion is that some other part of your signal chain may be causing the lack of bass.

One place to check is the quality of the analog power supply to your DAC and output buffer opamps. If this supply isn't good and solid it might be causing the bass weakness.

Regards,

tiroth said:
I'll have to check ~RESET out Brian--thanks. First time anyone had heard of a similar problem!

I use a global reset, for DIR, ASRC, and DAC (from a reset generator). The PSU is stabilized by that point, but since DIR and ASRC are simultaneously reset the input clocks are not active when ~RESET goes high. Do you really think this could be the reason?

It sounds like what you've got for /RESET is correct. hmm...

In my setup with the MuxIt data link, all of the source inputs to the ASRC (including BCLK and LRCLK) are pulled low when the audio source is turned off or if the CAT5 MuxIt cable is unplugged. The ASRC is not in reset when these events occur. I can do a live plug-in of the MuxIt cable and the ASRC resynch's and goes to work.

Another thought...

I'm not quite sure what you meant by 'input clocks'.

I'm using the ASRC in slave mode for both the input and output ports. I have a separate 30MHz oscillator for the internal ASRC logic. This oscillator is up and running before /RESET is released. This is important.

Is your MCLK for the ASRC running before /RESET is released?

Brian Brown said:
It's good work.OHIM, I think these is no use to convert DSD to PCM. DSD sounds better.
I didn't use AD1896's standby,all the BCLK,LRCLK,DATA,SCLK are connected to DIR1703's. Compared by my solid earphone amplifier and K501 , these is some difference in bass without AD1896. And the mediant isn't reality,although you can hear more "details" which is produced by AD1896, but I don't like the sound.You can see now less and less HI-END corporation use sample rate converters.They prefer much more complex FIFO and DDS to reduce jitter to sample rate converter(Mark Levinson and so on), because it sounds bad.Audio Note even reject the digital filter for reducing"digital" distortion.

we have been deceived by datasheet

The datasheet of sample rate converter deceived us!See SRC4192 datasheet.The FFT of 1KHz tone is good, but 20KHz is much worse(44.1 to 96KHz), so you can't see the figure of FFT of 20KHz tone (44.1 to 192KHz) in datasheet.If it's 30KHz,the FFT will worse than 20KHz,if......
The high frequence distortion will modulate and bring big
distortion in audio frequence which we may heard.So the SRC
is only garbage to us.

AD1865, at 20kHz the worst distortion shown is -144dB! In other modes the distortion is below -160dB. This is so much better than even the best DACs that I find it hard to believe that you will get intermodulation products that aren't swamped by other distortions.

Attachments

• fft.gif
    fft.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 583
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.