• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

S.E.X. amp plate chokes replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
My SEX amp finally arrived after 1 month. This is my first ever DIY project, so I have been quite excited and impatient waiting for customs and Parcelfarce (sic) to do their thing. When I opened my long awaited parcel, I found that both plate chokes were broken. On one, the plastic has snapped off exposing the copper coil. On the other plate choke, the tabs on the opposite side have snapped off too. They are not repairable, unless the metal casing can be plied open, the broken plastic removed and replaced with new. They may actually work as they are, as I don't know how important are the pieces that have broken off. Surely having the side of the copper coil exposed can't be safe.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg
I've written to Doc at Bottlehead asking for replacements plate chokes. However, I didn't receive a reply from Eileen at Bottlehead from emails sent 10 days ago, so I'm not holding out for Doc to get back to me to soon. Hopefully I'm wrong and he will, but just in case...

where could I buy these plate chokes in the UK? The code on the side is PC-3, but that could just be Bottlehead's code. They are made by Magnequest, but I don't mind another brand as long as they are of equal or better quality.

Cheers.

I just got an email from Eileen at Bottlehead. I actually tried to delete the thread, but once it's up, it's up. Bottlehead are going to send me replacement parts with a courier of my choosing! My faith in humanity is restored. I told her FedEx, DHL or UPS, as they're the most famous know. If anyone knows of a faster courier from USA, pls let me know.

Eileen had lost my other 2 emails, they ended up in junk mail somehow. All is forgiven. I knew Bottlehead wouldn't let me down, they have to much of a good reputation to loose.

Everyone whose written on my threads has said how good these amps are, even if they are considered as a poor man's 2A3/45. Can't wait, gonna start building tonight, do as much as I can without the plate chokes. I'll take Mctavish's advice and check them for continuity tomorrow (don't have voltmeter here now). If they're good, I'll use them until the replacements arrive.

I'll be using them with my UE TripleFi 10 earphones... until my Fostex 208 flat pack arrives in a week or so. That's the next project. Will be posting a few pics for that one.

Thanks.

Nice!!! You must like the sound of the SEX amp as you're the only person I know of who's set them up as monoblocks. I was considering the next step after building the SEX amp. Either do what you have, or build a 2A3/45. How many wpc you getting 4? The layout on the chassis is different to the standard SEX amp. Did you get the kit from Bottlehead, or build from scratch?

hi necplusultra,
Being the newb that I am, I don't get why the SEX amp would be better with a pre amp, as it's more circuitry between the source and the load. Is it just to give more power for your inefficient speakers? I think an even higher SPL is better, 97+. Or does the Foreplay give better sound when just using headphones?

Ade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.