Looking for recomendations on 15" woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 3 high efficiency projects planed. For all 3 I was thinking I might be able to use the same 15" Woofer.
I have 2 15" sub-woofers, so this would be mid-woofers.

1: Vision B200 full-range OB with Woofer. XO 150 Hz to 400 Hz.

2: SEOS 12 or SEOS 15 "Econowave" style with Woofer. XO 800 Hz - 1200 HZ In 6 to 8 Cu FT box

3: JMLC 400 1.4" Mid horn with ~ 800 Hz XO In 6 to 8 Cu FT box.

Research indicated that "Pro" style drivers are designed for all 3 apps.

I wanted to keep the Budget around $100 per driver

Research indicates several high end drivers might fit, except for cost:
AE TD15M
Altec 416
Altec 515
JBL 2226H
B&C 15TBX100

Just for reference, I am currently Running a DCX2496 / Class D amps/ OB with Low Q drivers, so I am aware that there are trade-offs on driver Q.

I know the Eminence Beta 15 would work for the OB, but will it sound good at 1K Hz?

Any thought or recommendations on a suitable driver would be appreciated..

By all accounts the TD-15M is an top class woofer, but you would probably need to be prepared to wait at LEAST 6mo to a year or more for them. If you do want some, your best bet is to try and find someone from the group buy he did last year who's plans changed or decided on different woofers due to the wait involved.

In any case the dipole (OB) 15 is listed as $310, but picking an arbitrary price point for the individual drivers is not a good way to go about selecting them.

You really need to pick them based on their performance characteristics. A $20-$30 tweeter might well be better suited to a particular mid than a much more expensive one.

picking an arbitrary price point for the individual drivers is not a good way to go about selecting them.
I really don't know how to respond to this, other than to restate mt requirements.
I am looking for a 15" woofer with a moderate cost and designed to play up to 1200 Hz.
I realize that choosing one woofer for multiple projects may involve compromises.
For example, A high Qts and high Xmax would be desirable for an OB.
For the horn projects, a Moderate Qts would be better, and low Le is more important.

Doug

Oddly enough I'm going to suggest reconsidering the size of the woofer..

All 3 designs, assuming a lower highpass freq. transition around 800 Hz or less, are going to be fairly wide-dispersion (unless it's a modest baffle dipole or mid-cardioid design).

Most 15" drivers by contrast tend to have increased pressure loss at 800-1600 Hz.

Polar continuity between sources could suffer off-axis as a result. Even a typical 12" driver might have too much pressure loss off-axis above 1 kHz.

Here is the other SEOS 12 + 15" woofer:
The "Sentinel" 15" B&C + DNA-360/SEOS-12 LCR design
Crossover 1100 Hz.

I may go with the SEOS 15" to better match the woofer.

That B&C driver may just have better dispersion than most 15" drivers..

Pretty good design.

You can still see though that the horn is loosing pattern control below 2 kHz. This basically means that from 900 Hz to 1.7 kHz will be "emphasized" ever so slightly. (..or "blooms" on a 3D waterfall.) Subjectively this often results in a forward mid-range with some loss in depth.

The 15 SEOS will allow a little lower crossover all-else equal.

As to which driver - why not try the Eminence you have? Can't hurt.

In your search you might also look at some of the less expensive driver's from MCM Electronics. At least one member was very happy with their inexpensive 10" pro driver, even when compared to more expensive drivers.

Last edited:
ScottG,

Thanks for the comments.
I agree that the SEOS 15 is a better match. While the SEOS 12 are a bargain, the Solid surface SEOS 15 are attractively priced and a better fit.

As to which driver - why not try the Eminence you have?
Haven't bought anything yet, so I am looking at options.

I have never heard a horn I like(and have not heard many), but I find when there is a design that has a lot of good engineering collaboration, its worth building, even if it turns out not to be my thing.

It seems the SEOS 15 has a recommended lowest crossover frequency of 850Hz so that might be ok. Haven't seen any plots though, it's just the manufacturer/dealers recommendation.

It has a 1" throat though and there are not many 1" drivers which can go that low.
I think BMS has a couple that get close.

strange I thought I posted these in this topic.
For higher efficiency. 99dB wmtr -6dB 35HZ

Beyma 15lw30

And

18 sound 15MB606

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
15mb606
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

15lw30
15lw30_132.jpg

Never really looked at their drivers since they don't sell to Europe.
The BMS driver I had in mind costs about the same but if you count in duty&excise (+28%) and VAT (+another 20%) it is a LOT cheaper even without shipping.
At least over here, no idea what the BMS 4550 costs in North America.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.