Specimen Gramophone style Horn Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This was originally in the Foam Core thread but I thought it was of more general interest to the Full-Range forum.

I ran across these Specimen back loaded horn speakers that resemble the old style gramophones player horns. They make them out of recycled newspaper and glue mixed with dryer lint for a matrix. Instead of newspaper foam core is perfect for this, and instead of glue and lint, hot melt.

Speciment-horn-speaker10-728x485.jpg

This looks very interesting and would be a unique conversation piece more than anything. The bent shape of the 8 petals is critical to making the horn bend forward like that.

This may be one of my next projects. Has anyone here listened to one of these in person? They are in Chicago area. Alright, who's in on this one with me? We need to develop those patterns. You can see the one photo where they are hung out like laundry. There are 4 unique shapes. These would be ideal to make out of foam core as it can be curved at will.

Specimen's Hand-Crafted Horn Speakers Are Made from Recycled Newsprint and Dryer Lint | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Sreten.
Have you actually listened to these or are your opinions based on fact that it looks like a horn from a Thomas Edison era gramophone horn? I would size the horn using sims rather than just to look like the one in the picture.

Hi,

Of course I haven't listened to them, that goes without saying on
nearly all my "opinions" on poor designs posted on this forum.
You can take or leave my "opinion" that they are awful.

Your going to build something similar but with proper simulation ?
You think you'll end up with something similar ? I don't think so.

Speaking of sims I've been looking at this recently which is interesting :
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/BLH_Design_Article.pdf

rgds, sreten.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sreten,
Ha ha! "Of course I haven't listened to them..." Of course I would sim first, I don't waste my time on building stuff on a whim anymore. You are right though, the design would be different and sound different.

The MJK paper you refer to is one I have been reading already and it the topic of the thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227240-mjks-fostex-ff125wk-blh-project.html Check it out, Dr Boar has built, probably the first example of the BLH described by MJK in this paper and is performing numerous measurements of the performance.
Regards,
X

I've been looking at speakers like these, but I'm a bit of a newbie to this game. Are those horns real? I mean does sound actually come out of the horn shape, or is it just dressing and the actual speaker is the one visible on the front of the cube?

Specifically, would anyone have any details of the internals of these?

Last edited:
I mean does sound actually come out of the horn shape [...]
Specifically, would anyone have any details of the internals of these?

The box part will have a cutout in the top that couples to the horn throat. This is a back loaded horn. Do a Google Image Search on "BLH speaker" and you'll get the idea.

e.g. this looks like a better implementation of the same concept:
Audio Asylum Thread Printer
I say 'better' because the speaker is at ear height, and the horn mouth is closer to the ground, so will get some boundary loading.

It looks like a BLH, but the size makes it a BR with a horn-like port, a Big Vent Reflex (BVR)

Valid. Same internal structure:

"Specifically, would anyone have any details of the internals of these?"

Making a petal front horn with helper woofer would be a more worthwhile application of the effort.

Agreed. I did something with a similar aesthetic a few years ago. With hindsight, it was a lot more work than it needed to be - a petal horn is how I'd do it now.

Attachments

• 4232372[1].jpg
    4232372[1].jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 2878155[1].jpg
    2878155[1].jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 133
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I built a teardrop shaped gore-panel construction once, if I had made the shapes grow at the mouth, a horn would have resulted vs a tear drop shape.

387592d1387034655-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-teardrop-5-final.png

The one horn I made with 4 gore panels, followed a tractrix, and it sounded fantastic. One of the best speakers I have heard when used in a two way point source:

Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

I personally think those Specimens are beautiful. I would like to develop a pair of seven foot horns like that. I am definitely looking into making a pattern for it. I just simply fell in love with this retro look.

I stumbled across the Specimen website a few months back, and I too fell in love with the concept and the look of hornspeakers. There is a great deal of information on the website, especially the blogs, and as a creative entity they certainly have earned my respect. Their business model has grown organically over the past thirty years, and they seem to have become an integral part of America art-music culture. A big attraction with the horns is they have a small footprint on a stage venue, and it is possible to stack dozens to create an almost holographic field of sound - just the ticket for musicians who use effects. I would love to experience an Andrew Bird gig, someone who plays violin through a PA system made up from a veritable forest of Specimen horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.