Pendulum movement of open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while back I made a very simple open baffle for my bedroom. It is basically a folded piece of perspex. Sound is very nice.

I never got around to bracing it, so theoretically it will wobble back and forth.

Amongst the many ideas I have floating around at the moment is to do something equally minimalist with a BG RD50.

Obviously with the extra height it will wobble even more. But I've always wondered whether the attempts by some to build super-stiff open baffles are because we still think in box terms and if such a setup actually provides damping of a sort.

So, I'm wondering just how audible this is likely to be. StigErik and others have done hanging dipoles, which will also wobble back and forth.

So, baffle vibration aside, what affect will the slowish back and forth pendulum motion have?

They would go no lower than 200-300.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
The panel will have many resonant mode, just as a room does. Swaying or wobbling is not the issue but rather exciting resonance modes which may be sufficient to be audible.

Movement of the baffle by simple force transmission is generally never an issue because, as Stig pointed out, the relative mass differences between cone and the other mass elements of the structure generally means the acceleration of the structure is insignificant.

the only way to really determine if the baffle is resonating at various frequencies is to test with an accelerometer at different positions on the baffle.

My only experience is with box speakers. When I built my current speakers (roughly 10" wide floorstanders), I didn't fit any internal bracing. The bass was a bit loose, so I decided to fit some internal bracing to see if it would tighten up the bass. It made quite a large difference and I was very pleased with the results.

Saying all that, i'm not sure it would matter at the frequencies your speakers produce.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.