17'' laptop to do an Audio PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening Folks. I'm new to the forum so Happy new year 2013!!!!

Here's the deal. My Wife's laptop HD just died. Hopefully she just had the time to back up everything she needed. It was a personnal computer she was working with so her company is gonna pay for the next one.

So here I am with a big ASUS PRO79IJ-TY025E on my hands in real good shape.
The plan is to turn it into an audio PC to connect to my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 to get better sound than my oppo BDP93 thru SPDIF.

My Audio set up is:
Oppo BDP93
>SPDIF
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2
>XLR
Vincent SP991 Plus
USHER BE10 Berylium

I guess that first, I need to get a new HD (any suggestion?), maybe some RAM and from there where do I start, what OS? JRIVER or foobar? and then?

The computer is very silent and about 15 feet from the listening position so i'm not worried about it's own noise. First of all, with the right set up, will the end results be better than my Oppo (set up in 24/192 output).

What would you do?

FYI: I have a nexus 7 and an iphone 5 to remote control the beast. And soon my music will also be on a Synology NAS but also on the Laptop HD.

Newegg has some pretty good deals here,

Notebook Hard Drives, Laptop Hard Drives - Newegg.com

Your drive interface is the older sata 1.5Gb/s interface but all of the drives are backwards compatible.
But don't spend more money on a drive of the same size for a 6Gb/s interface as you would for a 3Gb/s interface unless the drive happens to be have a larger storage capacity.

A 7200 RPM will give you better performance as well and is the best way to go.
Try to stay away from the green drives (5200 rpm to 5400rpm and such drives) as I have read of issues of them going into sleep mode and causing access time issues and gaps and pauses while playing media.

As far as the ram is concerned it should be 800Mhz DDR2 Laptop type.
I only find so far on a quick search, see that only 3GB is specified with one stick of 1GB and one stick of 2GB of ram.

It has a Intel 2.0Ghz T4200 Dual core processor in it.

You can get a 1TB if you want to spend the money but this looks like a good deal,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835

of these 3,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...003340 600003459&IsNodeId=1&name=SATA 3.0Gb/s

and the rest of the 7200 RPM high capacity drives,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 600361786 600003340&IsNodeId=1&name=7200 RPM

Which ever drive you choose make sure that its height is not greater than what the laptops case can hold.
I have seen it happen that someone gets a drive and it would not fit because it was just a few mm higher than what was in it.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
It should be possible to change how drives go to sleep. My WD Caviar Black used to do that because it was set to do so in windows. You can change that in power options.

But never use a 5400rpm disk for operating system, it slows down the whole computer a lot. SSD is definitely best for operating system and programs.

Ok, thx Rullknufs and Geraldfryjr for these info, I would not have tough to double check the height of the HD neither actually.

So I guess I have 2 ways to look at it:
1- a new suiteable HD 7200rpm somewhat high capacity.
2- a Small SSD for OS and music access thru the network.

Can I use a SSD in such an 'old' laptop? Will it fit? Getting the music from the network won't affect Audio quality?
So is the 3GB of RAM enough?
and finally
Has anybody compare a Laptop audio pc to a bdp83. I read in another thread that someone has tested the bdp93 versus a desktop audio pc but can we reach (almost) the same level with an audio laptop without braking the bank?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any issues using a SSD as it is a SATA interface and they are typically thinner than a HDD as well.

If you are accessing or music then a SSD would definitely help in the performance of the system as a whole.
As far as the laptop is concerned.

the transfering of the data has nothing to do with the quality of the data being played.
Unless of course you have a drive the keeps going to sleep on you.

Yes, you can turn of the sleep modes in windows but some where I read that some of the Green drives go into sleep mode regardless of any windows settings.
I am not sure about this but I did read it from somewhere where their system was being used consistently for studio recording and production work and had advised to stay away from them and to just stick with the 7200 RPM or faster drives.

Being that the CPU is a smaller dual core at 2Ghz an SSD would be a wiser choice I think considering storge space is not an issue.

Watch the sales as Newegg just had a corsair 250GB SSD for $159.99 for a 2 day sale and last week it was the Samsung 840 series.

I think Tiger direct has the OZC 120GB Vertex3 now for $89.99 !!

OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G Vertex 3 Solid State Drive - 120GB, 2.5, SATA III at TigerDirect.com

jer :)

Last edited:
It should be possible to change how drives go to sleep. My WD Caviar Black used to do that because it was set to do so in windows. You can change that in power options.QUOTE]

Some HDD have the sleep mode built into there own bios and nothing in windows power setting will stop them from sleeping .. However all is not lost as there is software out wich will allow you to siwtch off the sleep mode in the HDD.... Ps You will normally find this issue on drives that where destined for external use normally in a USB caddy...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.