Mills MR-200-8 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I know this resistor is no longer made. The 2.2 kOhm value I want is nonexistent after doing extensive google search. Vishay has bought out the company and apparently makes a replacement. The Vishay equivalent to the Mills MR-200-8 is their MR116. Please see the attachments.

Has anyone tried Vishay equivalent? Does anyone know if they are in fact the same resistor, just rebranded by Vishay, or is the composition of the resistor different? Does it sound the same?

The Vishay MR116 is made of Nickel-chrome alloy. I have no idea what the Mills MR-200 was made of.

Attachments

• Vishay MR100.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Mills Precision Wirewound Resistors.pdf
    479.7 KB · Views: 188
These are very high quality resistors and I would not hesitate to the use them. I believe Mills original line of resistors also uses a nickel-chromium alloy, which is a very common material used in precision resistors. (The secret is in the precise alloy mix and probably processing into wire, foil or film.)

Doubt that there is any audible difference in the sound, at this level of quality. I'm not much worried whether the part is non-inductive.

Hi Damon, thanks for responding. It's good to hear that Mills used Nickel-chrome alloy as well. I talked to a Vishay representative who couldn't confirm if Mills used Nickel-chrome. It's funny how DIYers have more knowledge on discontinued parts than the company that bought it out. My dilemma is trying to find the Mills MR-200 I need or use the Vishay replacement that seems close to identical.

The material doesn't matter, it's the specification that it meets that does. Below ten ohms or so, other alloys may be used to get low temperature coefficients. Nickel chromium just seems to be about the most popular kind, depending on the individual manufacturers 'secret sauce' formulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.