Array of 12 tweeters in 3x4 configuration for Cinema?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Basically yes, but don't mount them on a flat panel; they will be *too* directional, plus you will hear a horrible "comb" effect.
To reduce that, mount them as if they were on the surface of a sphere.
*OR*: mount them edge to edge in a vertical 12 high column, line array type.

Hi,

You can do it - but that doesn't mean its a good idea - its a bad idea.
What you'll get for your money is way worse than other better options.

103dB/W is not difficult from a horn, without all the phase problems.

rgds, sreten.

so is it possible to use a good vifa driver into horn? how much sensitivity can be achieved with horn when used with a 91 db driver? when used with a horn?

I see alot of the jbl designs where they use a 5 inch mid but with a horn resulting the 105db sensitivity! can I do that?

I beg to differ from JMFahey on mounting a dome tweeter to a waveguide. It can be done and is often with dome tweeters and short waveguides. You can mount them behind a 1" entrance horn and achieve gain, but you will need to do some serious eq to flatten the response. No you will never have the type of output as a compression driver but you will see definite gain from this approach. Look at any major dome tweeter manufacturer and you will see dome tweeters on short waveguides. Try it you may be satisfied with the result as long as you understand that it is not going to give 106 db of output.

is often with dome tweeters and short waveguides.
Well, yes, it can be done if you are happy with a very modest improvement.
I have used (and repaired) such tweeters, the "short horn" is there, with no compression or phasing plug in front of the diaphragm, so it can enhance coupling only at the lower end of the tweeter response.
I *guess* (may be wrong) that they are a designer's trick to extend tweeter response downwards, a little (say 1/2 or 1/3 octave), by a couple dB.
Not bad if you can get it for "free" and it simplifies choosing the other drivers in the box. :)

so you are recommending a line array or a point array ( square array ) so that I see line array has more comb effect but when drivers are placed in terms of filling a circle or like in 3 x 4 config like discussed before acts more like a point source from large distance rather than one big line creating comb problems.. dont you think so...

OK, answer it yourself: is it a wide short room or a long narrow one?
If short and wide, having wide dispersion, for example mounting speakers in an arc is good, will reach more people with good sound.
If long and narrow, such as traditional 30's to 50's built cinemas (their golden age), you'll need as much focusing as possible to reach people in the back seats with intelligible sound.
In that case, take a long hard look at what kind of speaker systems were used there.
*Electronics* have changed a lot, but *Acoustics* are the same.
And in that case, modern low efficiency and poor directivity cone drivers are *not* the answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.