swop electrolytic's for solid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and thanks for reading this post.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the usual aluminium electrolytic capacitors on an amp board for the better specs of a solid state (polymer) type capacitor.

I have 4 aluminium electrolytic's around the dac chip (47uf 35v) and 4x 10uf 63v output coupling caps in the analog section, so 8 caps to replace in all, do you think a like for like replacement of the stock aluminium electrolytics for solid state polymer type caps would be okay in this situation.

I have done a google search and people have performed this on pc motherboards but there is not much on amps.

Many thanks in advance. John.

solid polymer electrolyte caps excell at low esr, esl - where those properties are important they can be technical "improvements"

last I looked they were only made for lower WVdc, no bi-polar versions

if you read Bateman's articles the latter properties point to their being poor choices for "signal path" coupling/DC blocking - if you believe nonlinear distortion has anything to do with "audio quality" in capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.