Stax SRM-212 repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just received this broken unit. Right channel works perfectly but left channel is cut out.

Do you have any suggestions what parts should I try to replace first?

Tried to search the web but couldn't find a service manual anywhere..

Here are pics for the amp:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
ERR#900F: Pics no workee.

Still, I don't think it is advisable that you undertake a repair yourself, unless you happen to find a trivial fault like a bad solder joint at input or output jacks. Amplifiers like this typically operate on like +200..300VDC (plus there's the bias voltage of 580V), so all the usual safety precautions for tube gear apply.

Once power has been off for quite a while, you should be able to perform some basic in-circuit transistor testing, just making sure that none are dead short or open somewhere. If you are lucky, corresponding parts in the left and right channel are easily identified, so you can check whether measurements match.

ERR#900F: Pics no workee.

Still, I don't think it is advisable that you undertake a repair yourself, unless you happen to find a trivial fault like a bad solder joint at input or output jacks. Amplifiers like this typically operate on like +200..300VDC (plus there's the bias voltage of 580V), so all the usual safety precautions for tube gear apply.

Once power has been off for quite a while, you should be able to perform some basic in-circuit transistor testing, just making sure that none are dead short or open somewhere. If you are lucky, corresponding parts in the left and right channel are easily identified, so you can check whether measurements match.
Hi, the pics work when you right click them and "open up a in a new tab", at least in the two computers I tried to open them :)

I have an multimeter, but I'm not sure what I should measure, like I said I don't understand much about amps. Though the pcb has clear separate sections for right and left channel, so I could easily compare them measurements.

You can also PM me if you don't want to type here.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.