• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Center Channel for A10.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks. :) Looks like I went and bought three Alpair 10.2's.

I'm looking at building the Pensil 10.2s from Mark's site for mains.

I'd like a matching center channel. Would simply halving the width of the Pensil 10.2's 'port opening,' placing one opening on each end, and moving the driver to the middle of the cabinet work, or is the Pensil designed with a specific intended distance from driver to 'port opening?'

I searched, but did not find anyone using the Pensil approach on a center channel.

Ben,

driver offset is important, putting a vent at either end makes it a 1/2 wave resonator.

If you want a Pensil for centre, and low profile, just turn it 90 degrees. If you want the driver centred you'll have to tack on a void at the short end (was the top).

dav

I thought as much....

A Pensil on its side might look unusual. :)

Question though: Would it sound right with whatever emits from the opening only coming from one side of the box?

Any other enclosure suggestions for matched L/C/R set? (horizontal center is a requirement, unfortunately)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Question though: Would it sound right with whatever emits from the opening only coming from one side of the box?

No. Only very LF (long wavelengths) come out the terminus.

Any other enclosure suggestions for matched L/C/R set? (horizontal center is a requirement, unfortunately)

The miniOnkens have already been mentioned. If you want them visually as well as (relatively) acoustically matched, then you can build 3 centres and rotate the L/R ones. With the woofer support required of an HT setup, that they have less bass than a Pensil is likely moot.

dave

No. Only very LF (long wavelengths) come out the terminus.

The miniOnkens have already been mentioned. If you want them visually as well as (relatively) acoustically matched, then you can build 3 centres and rotate the L/R ones. With the woofer support required of an HT setup, that they have less bass than a Pensil is likely moot.

dave

There are more permutations contained within the various subscription plan sets than you could shake a 6/4 S2S plank at, and I'm sure I've not seen all of them.

The centre channel that I think Dave is talking about for the 10.2 is roughly 16"W x 12" D x 8" H. I have the same style enclosure for the smaller Alpair7 in my own system, with Pensils as L & R mains - works very well. As he notes, you could turn them on their ends for use as "mains", but unless wall mounting is an option they'd need stands, the cost of could be more than the extra material required to build a floorstander.

If you want a Pensil for centre, and low profile, just turn it 90 degrees. If you want the driver centred you'll have to tack on a void at the short end (was the top).

Thinking this over still, that would make the cabinet 58-1/4" long. Wow! Feels like a waste of space to me, so I'll probably do a slot ported BR and hope the voicing is close enough.

Either that, or I'll just design my own towers that are more orientation friendly. It's always nice to have the psychological reinforcement of building a design others have already heard and liked though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.