line frequency conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to down convert a 1000Hz power signal to 60Hz with minimal power loss. Where should I be looking?
A cycloconverter is what you need.
But operating at 1KHz means the usual solutions won't work, unless you use fast or GTO thyristors.

You could also make a cycloconverter from other active components, like IGBT's.

This would even give you more degrees of freedom, like making a full bilateral converter.

What kind of power level do you need?

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm looking to re-purpose an electrical generator that outputs 5A three phase 500VAC @1kHz to 125VAC @60Hz. The obvious solution would be to add 16 poles to the generator but that route has practical challenges I would rather avoid so I am looking for an external solution.

freax
If I did that, it wouldn't make the same power. The speed is making the power here.

DF96
I am assuming the generator is making AC so why would I want to rectify and invert? I believe Elvee pointed me in the right direction with his suggestion for the cycloconvertor. One can be build to reduce the waves to groups of 16 which should get me near my goal. I am concerned about electrically synchronizing those groups. How forgiving are consumer electronics to slight variances in cycles (ie: 5% over a 24 hour period)?

freax
If I did that, it wouldn't make the same power. The speed is making the power here.

And if you build a cycloconverter there is going to be a voltage drop and a certian amount of power dissipated into the diodes, and a limitation on the maximum wattage that you can pull through it before a diode goes pop.

By converting it to DC first you are then essentially creating an inverter generator, which produces some of the cleanest AC that you can get, if you buy a quality inverter that is.

I also hope someone else on here knows how to build a cycloconverter, properly, and I hope you do too, a lot of nasty mains wiring there by the looks of it.

DF96
I am assuming the generator is making AC so why would I want to rectify and invert? I believe Elvee pointed me in the right direction with his suggestion for the cycloconvertor. One can be build to reduce the waves to groups of 16 which should get me near my goal. I am concerned about electrically synchronizing those groups. How forgiving are consumer electronics to slight variances in cycles (ie: 5% over a 24 hour period)?

To turn that into dc so you can then convert the frequency to 60Hz you first must shed a few cycles.

Doing that with diodes means that they might end up needing to be matched sets of diodes, I think you should check this with the other guys here to see if it needs to be matched.

Make sure you do because if you dont then the diodes will blow as one or two of them draw too much current.

RJM1
480-500VAC 3phase is a fairly common configuration on maritime/aviation vessels and configuring a delta set of transformers seems not to be as challenging as dealing with the Hz. Those parts are fairly easy and cheap via salvage but setting up a working diode array has a lot more going on.

freax
Let me understand how you would approach this, are you suggesting that I aggregate the entire turbine output to DC and invert to the specified AC from there? This would seem to require triple the part count with quality/protection circuits and because of the high power levels we are working with could become unaffordable really fast. Synchronizing and balancing the wave cycles isn't looking like too much fun either if that were indeed an issue.

RJM1
480-500VAC 3phase is a fairly common configuration on maritime/aviation vessels and configuring a delta set of transformers seems not to be as challenging as dealing with the Hz. Those parts are fairly easy and cheap via salvage but setting up a working diode array has a lot more going on.

Is it 3 phase?
Also transformers have a fair amount of power loss.

freax
Let me understand how you would approach this, are you suggesting that I aggregate the entire turbine output to DC and invert to the specified AC from there? This would seem to require triple the part count with quality/protection circuits and because of the high power levels we are working with could become unaffordable really fast. Synchronizing and balancing the wave cycles isn't looking like too much fun either if that were indeed an issue.

On second thoughts considering that its 500vAC I'm not sure that you should even try, that would bring the Voltage up by quite a margin and into and past the kilovolt range.

What you could do is use a custom wound transformer with a 500vAC primary and a couple of low voltage high amperage secondaries, then rectify that, filter it, then dump it into an inverter, there is your 115vAC at 60Hz.

Or If its unfeasible to convert it to DC then consider finding one of these: Motor-generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would in my book be the safest route to take, finding one of those shouldn't be too difficult.

Aside from that ask someone else because I've come up empty handed, you are asking a fairly difficult question, you want the 500vAC output of a generator to come down not only in frequency but in voltage in one step with high efficiency, which is going to take some considerable power loss to do no matter how you cut it.

You know what I would do? sell the generator to someone else who can put it to good use and go out and buy a proper 125vAC single phase generator.

Either that or get the generator head rewound.

Last edited:
Funny, never heard of 1KHz generator.
Can you link to some place which shows one?
What will drive it?
Gasoline/gas/wind/water/fusion/fission?
Do you need the 3 phases ?
Straightest solution I see is rectifying those 500VAC , being 3 phase you will have very low ripple to begin with, being 1KHz makes it even easier, and *then* invert it, so you solve 2 problems in a single step.

There is likely no way to re-wire the generator stator for 60Hz because of insufficient back iron between so much greater a grouping of poles. (except for impractical reduction in power output and efficiency) Even the rotor is probably mutli-pole. You'd be faced with some kind of rectification and inverting plan.

Last edited:
or really old school...

Although I never saw it, here is what the U.S. Government did until the 1980s: imagine you have a building full of "american" electronic equipment (120 VAC, 60 Hz) but you are in a European country (220 VAC, 50 Hz). We used something called a "rotary converter" which apparently was little more than a very large 220 V motor connected to a 120 V alternator! They had a diesel generator hooked in by some means for emergency back-up but it was not highly reliable. But anyway there is a "West Virginia" solution for those who, like the government, have lots of money and little common sense!

DUG
I'm still working the numbers here so I don't have your answer.

Andrew Eckhardt
Absolutely corrent.

Soldermizer
That's a funny anecdote that just might become useful.

JMFahey
It's an oddball prototype gas turbine. Really quiet, smooth and strong. I think freax suggested this too and it looks like going DC first might be the least problematic all things considered.

freax
Your voltage comments with DC conversion are noted and I thank you for your well considered replies.

DF96
I think rectifying first and inverting to spec is looking like the smartest solution so thanks for hinting me there.

Last edited:
Motor generators are an old school classic and can be purchased for pennies at military surplus shops (the ones which are 1 acre size with a 2 story high mountain of military junk, including rusty tank engines and Vietnam era radio packs with bullet holes, no kidding).
Problem is they usually convert 50 to 60Hz and vice versa, or AC to *a lot* of DC .
And you would require one driven by a 1000 Hz motor :( .
So the real solution is going DC (which solves the frequency problem) and invert.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.