Disappointed with Pioneer TS-W310S4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently bought a pioneer sub which said 95db sensitivity (1watt 1 meter).
After I buy and open the box it said 95db sensitivity (Inside car). Why would they measure inside car:mad: Do you know any manufacturer who measures it inside car and doesn't tell consumer on website?

Since car can easily add 8-15db to a speaker. I think pioneer is giving misleading information about their subwoofers to consumers.

What do you guys think?

if they claim 95, it will be actually 83-85. Is this subwoofer even worth keeping ?:mad:
specs here
TS-W310S4 - <b>NEW!</b> - 12" Champion Series Subwoofer with Single 4 Ω Voice Coil | Pioneer Electronics USA

This link shows how much db can be gained inside a car
http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands.../en-US/BoxesandParameters/P1222rev3_27_06.pdf

Why are you disappointed with this driver? Car sub-woofers by and large are not designed to be ...accurate, in the bass region. fundamental tones are muddy..often times #hot # at particular frequencies. Think about the enthusiast...all they think of is how loud it can get & what portion of the car rattles worst. The drivers are built with logos festooned on the cone itself as if to say # look at me!!#. I would bet the Xmax is some 25mm or more, this is where you get the poor sensitivity.
If your interested in playing actual music thru them......something other than the obligitory Hip-Hop ..............you will be disappointed.
Notice how the TS parameters are missing [ A needed specification ] These are truly needed to design it right.

-----------------------------------------------------------Rick..........

I am not disappointed with driver as I have not played it. I am disappointed with pioneer for giving misleading information.

Richard the Xmax is ONLY 9.9mm

Here are the TS from the manual inside the box of TS-W310S4
Revc = 2ohm
Levc = 2.53mH
Fs = 35Hz
Qms = 11.93
Qes = 0.67
Qts = 0.63
Vas = 1.25 cu ft or 35.4 litres
Rms = 3.99 N.S/m
Mms = 216g
Cms = 9.5 * 10^(-5) m/N
Dia = 10.2 inch
BL = 14.8T.m Tesla i guess
Xmax = 9.9mm or .39 inch
12 inch sub, 400 rms, 1400max, 4ohm,
95db +/-1.5db (in car, input 1 watt) .. God knows if they test this is sealed or even ported...lol
20hz -250hz is -20db bandwidth
Displacement 2.08 litre or 0.073 cu ft.
Magnet is 2.1kg or 74 oz

I was unable to simulate using Basta. What do you guys think. Is it even worth keeping or should i return it and get JBL or infinity reference for the same price ?

*update i was able to simulate in winisd. How does it look
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://postimage.org/image/fk4zwskp7/

Last edited:
To be fair to Pioneer, the spec sheet at least includes TS parameters. A lot of car audio manufacturers don't even provide that info any more.

Sensitivity is 85.5dB 1w/1m. Seems about average for mass consumer stuff.

XMAX is a little low and Fs is a little high for my taste.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.1 KB · Views: 137
The EBP is right at 50..........An enclosure could be either ported or sealed.....I came up with some outstanding figures for ported....Using Ray Aldens formulas.

Vb=4.978616212 cubic feet
F3=17.37659276 Hz
Fb=22.27977703 Hz
Vent 4 inch inside Dia. 10.80145581 inches long

Using cube root of 2
Inside dimensions of enclosure 25.80097501 inches
20.47858958 inches
16.25385655 inches

______________________________________________Rick...........

I have a 1.25 cubic sealed enclosure
12" Sealed Single Subwoofer Enclosure (Charcoal)

XMAX is low. Looking at theAnonymous1 2 cubic feet simulation i am having doubts abouts my 1.25 cubic enclosure :(

I am thinking of returning this and getting the Alpine SWR-12D2 in series 4 ohms or JL Audio 12W3V3-4 4 ohms
or should i consider Dayton HO
http://www.jlaudio.com/12w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92154
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10D2_4_12D2_4.pdf

Sorry i am thinking sooo much, This would be my 1st woofer purchase.
My amp is sony Xm1s 290rms @44ohm 500@24ohm. I plan to run it on 4ohm

Thanks you everyone for your help

Last edited:
Well, your ***BIG*** problem is having a wimpy 1.5 CuFt enclosure !!!!
No 12" woofer will work there.

I finally bought a JL w3v3.
They need only 1.15 Cublic feet and my enclosure is like 1.25 cubic
I guess my subs size would displace the .10 cubic

I also added 1/2 inch of fibreglass wool insulation and then a very thinlayer of synthetic wool which the manufacturer gave on top of fibreglas as i was getting paranoid reading about fibreglas and cancer..:D
Not sure if this is too much acoustic damping :confused:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.