Rotel rb985 and soft start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a Rotel rb-985 that very often takes out the fuse on the house main circuit when its turned on. These amps seem to be known for this.

I bought a soft start from ebay, based on NTC 10-D20 thermistors:

Assembled High Power Soft Start Up Board 220V Operation Best for Audio Amplifier | eBay

..and since there was no documentation supplied, I haves some questions.. There are 6 connection points on the curcuit, 4 are for the mains in/out. I understand those..

The last 2 are marked on/off. Will these need a secondary dc supply, or should they just be connected to be "on", and the amp is turned on by its normal on/off switch?

I will just say that I will only fiddle with the mains after the amp has been turned of for a week, and it will also be moved outside before I turn it on again. Wearing my protective outfit..

Regards

It's not exactly clear from the e-bay description but it looks as though the board has a built in reactive power supply which is incredibly dangerous as there is no isolation from the mains voltage.

If I am right, and please check VERY CAREFULLY then all you need is a 240V isolated switch to remotely switch the relays. No need for a second power supply.

You MUST - MUST - MUST obtain a circuit diagram for this before you even think about using it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.