simple VCA IC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I only want to control volume with a voltage control. Is there a simple IC that will do just this?

(Just on/off switching would be ok as well if it had some x crossing click protection built in)

I've used the ssm2018pz from analog devices to add a remote volume control to a 70's amp in the past - the addon uses a PIC to handle the IR control decoding and generate the control voltages. ;)

I only want to control volume with a voltage control. Is there a simple IC that will do just this?

(Just on/off switching would be ok as well if it had some x crossing click protection built in)

What the others are saying is true about the SSM and THAT chips but if you're skeptical of a serial controlled chip like the PGA2310 there's lots of help available on Pics, Intel MCS51 family and may favorites Freescale 68HC08 family.

Microcontrollers can add all sorts of 'smarts' from remote control to power on mute sequencing. For those who really like 'pots' you can use shaft encoders as inputs. I use an 8 bit micro in the TV PC to shut it down after 6 hours. It's 'smart' enough to ping the power switch (via relay) and wait 2 minutes and force the power switch if for some reason it didn't go peacefully.

AD603 sounds just great to my ears, very simple to use. None of the SQ problems of the other types (VCAs, CMOS opamps).

It's a fine chip. I used them in the font end on the optical pickups in a high def film to video (telecine) running them up to 30 MHz. Down side is they only have 40 dB control range and are limited to a few Volts p-p. Not much headroom for audio work. AIUI the chips were intended for variable gain IF amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.