LM1875 Single Supply Bandwidth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am putting together an amplifier as a final project for a class that is required by my associates degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. I have included an image of the circuit I am using with this post. My measured upper and lower frequency cutoffs are 20Hz and 76KHz. It would be amazing for me to theoretically determine the frequency response of this circuit. I am pretty sure the 1 ohm resistor and the .22uF capacitor are responsible for the upper frequency cutoff. I have absolutely no idea how to organize the portion of the circuit that provides the input bias. I have a feeling that it is responsible for the lower frequency cutoff. Can someone please steer me in the direction of an online resource or a technique that I can use to match my experimental results to my theoretical results.

Thank You,

JMac

Attachments

• IMG_2467.GIF
    IMG_2467.GIF
    12.7 KB · Views: 161
Hi,

For the high pass its 1uF in series with all the loop resistances to virtual or real earths.
That looks like (22K + 22K||22K)||1M = 32Kohm with 1uF for the high pass function
at the input, but the feedback loop has another, 10uF and 10K||200K = 9.1kohm.

Still I can't get to an estimate of -3dB at 20Hz. Try a sim like the great free TinaTi.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
@sreten
The 10uF capacitor C2 doesnt short R1.

Then what about the 0.1uF capacitor?

The 10 uF cap shorts R1 and R2 at audio frequencies, theoretically ;) .

The junction of R1, R2, and R3 is at ground potential at audio frequencies, theoretically.

The 0.1 uF cap is a power supply pin bypass.

The input impedance at audio frequencies is 22K, theoretically.

Last edited:
@ Fast Eddie

I agree with your assessment of the input impedance at audio frequencies. The lower frequency cutoff I measured was definitely between 15Hz and 22Hz. If my measurements are not off I'm in error by about 10Hz. When I use 22k compared to 1uf for calculation of frequency attenuation. it's a 1 credit course atleast.

Indeed. What is the input impedance of the 1875? I could not find it. It's probably low, but not that low. How about the tolerance on the input cap?

You can lower the low frequency cutoff by increasing the 1 uF capacitor if you like. Try a 2.2 uf cap instead. Are you using an electrolytic? You can get away with using an electrolytic input cap in a single supply amplifier. And you could beef up the "virtual ground" too with a bigger electrolytic (not too big) and a 0.1 uF cap in parallel with the electrolytic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.