can you ID a bad component on a pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a Phase Technology DP 2000. a few audible clicks at last start then no power. i have removed the cover and checked incoming voltage and fuses, all good. i have attached 4 pictures of a component on the pcb, two good and two looked burned. can anyone id these? if so, how would i check them and or replace?

J.C.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 114
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 108
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    601.3 KB · Views: 102
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    599 KB · Views: 100
The first two pictures show a transformer that is showing signs of running on the hot side the second Piccy looks worse and also the electrolytic capacitor next to it .. This is a class d amplifier you really need someone who knows this amp or is expirienced. Do you have any test gear . have you done any fault finding ... To be honest i think this thread would be best in class d section ...

i have a Phase Technology DP 2000. a few audible clicks at last start then no power. i have removed the cover and checked incoming voltage and fuses, all good. i have attached 4 pictures of a component on the pcb, two good and two looked burned. can anyone id these? if so, how would i check them and or replace?

J.C.

It's a transformer. Just replace. But, you need to make an effort to find out why it's damaged. Otherwise, you're going to be treating these like expensive fuses.

If this is a Class D design, this is possibly a switchmode transformer, in which case the primaries are driven by a pair of transistors, and the output are connected to a pair of diodes, setup as a full-wave rectifier. Likely, the one or more drive transistors are damanged, too.

Regards,

Rob

And a plethora of other coponets .. you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a few smd components that need replacing too. That transformer is most likley wound as a custom job for the amplifier in question . With no scematic repairing this amp will be A large PITA.. If you are not set up to work on this stuff and have a fair amount of knolage . it would be best to send it back to its maker for repair ..

this whole pcb is made in india, Celltronixs in think. i found the entire unit on web, it was for a Kliptsch subwoofer, but the nameplate has same model # and specifications. $280.00. is it worth to just buy this and replace the whole thing, or send back to manufacturer?

J.C.
I am not even sure the transformer is faulty: the flux band seems to have been forcibly torn away, but that is not the kind of incident that occurs naturally....
Such transformers are extremely resilient, even when they have been severely abused.
The Elytics look like more likely culprits. One is visibly damaged, and others have probably suffered too, even if there is no visible sign.

Anyway, the symptoms you report are coherent with faulty caps.
Replace all of them, and retest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.