Side mount dipol bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are talking about a true dipole radiator, putting it edge on to the listener means zero output at the listening position, its a null other than reflections in the room. I used an Enigma panel sub with my ESL63's for years, and while it was fantastic in the sweet spot of the listening chair, output suffered down to about average sound in the rest of the room.

Setup I used was to have my wife sit in the chair with a string held up to her nose and then place the edge of all three speakers on a arc equally distant from her with the Enigma in the middle.

Attachments

• SYSTEM.jpg
    SYSTEM.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 204
I was thinking about a design like Gradient Helsinki.

After my knowlegde it delivers bass but it require toe in and placement close to the front wall. I heard it on a hifi show in Norway and the bass was there.

My Q is if it is possible to get really god results with this solution or is it a huge compromise?

5Cf0m.jpg

Having been all the way down the dipole bass path, before spending a bunch you should first see if you like the character of the bass that is the end result. I found it different from my expectation, thinner even when level matched. I don't know why the sound is so different at the same level, maybe something to do with how room modes are excited, but it ultimately did not float my boat for many types of music where the artist intention is clearly fat bass as achieved with a good monopole subwoofer.

OTOH I do kind of prefer dipole mid bass, but overall bass I get from my Klipsch Forte' speakers seems close to ideal to my taste.

In that vein I would look at perhaps something of a 3 way design similar to the Nelsen Pass linked to, but using the folded dipole of the AMT with fewer drivers, crossed around 60 hz to a conventional monopole subwoofer. Something like Vocal range and top end driver, mid bass in the folded baffle, and low end sub. MTM might have very nice results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.