• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Morgan Jones mini tube headphone Amplifier

First-order continuous-time implementation

Figure 1: A passive, analog, first-order high-pass filter, realized by an RC circuit
The simple first-order electronic high-pass filter shown in Figure 1 is implemented by placing an input voltage across the series combination of a capacitor and a resistor and using the voltage across the resistor as an output. The product of the resistance and capacitance (R×C) is the time constant (τ); it is inversely proportional to the cutoff frequency fc, that is,

where fc is in hertz, τ is in seconds, R is in ohms, and C is in farads.

Attachments

• 210px-High_pass_filter.svg.png
    210px-High_pass_filter.svg.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,685
Last edited:
I once built a version of this amplifier - using a triode-connected EF86 on the front end, but with the same 6922 back-end - I did use electrolytics on the output, bypassed with Dayton polypropolenes. Really, it sounded quite good and certainly changed my mind about the "sound of electrolytics". If I remember correctly, I just used some Panasonics from Digikey.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Stixx, I'm currently using the Valve Wizard mu-follower, I'm satisfied but I received advice that my Senhs HD600 plays better with an output impedance of 120 ohms, the mu-follower I'm using have an output impedance of 257 ohms so to big also I know HD600 have an output impedance of 300 ohms so the question is: wich value of SE output line transformer have I to install?, mu-follower schematic:

Mufollower2.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I once built a version of this amplifier - using a triode-connected EF86 on the front end, but with the same 6922 back-end - I did use electrolytics on the output, bypassed with Dayton polypropolenes. Really, it sounded quite good and certainly changed my mind about the "sound of electrolytics". If I remember correctly, I just used some Panasonics from Digikey.

I eard people used EF86 for MM phono preamp with great success.

After the pot would be better, between the slider and R1. The value would depend on how big you are prepared to go with the other electrolytics. The basic idea is that the input LF rolloff, set by the cap and R1, is higher in frequency (by a factor of 2-5?) than the output rolloff, set by C4 and your headphone resistance. Also the cathode decouplers.

You also want the White follower to work properly, so the input cap should be less than C2.

First-order continuous-time implementation

Figure 1: A passive, analog, first-order high-pass filter, realized by an RC circuit
The simple first-order electronic high-pass filter shown in Figure 1 is implemented by placing an input voltage across the series combination of a capacitor and a resistor and using the voltage across the resistor as an output. The product of the resistance and capacitance (R×C) is the time constant (τ); it is inversely proportional to the cutoff frequency fc, that is,

where fc is in hertz, τ is in seconds, R is in ohms, and C is in farads.

The natural frequency is proportional to 1/(RC) which is radians/second. You need a factor of 2 pi to get this in units of Hertz. In other words, fc = 1/(2 pi RC).