• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Donkey Kong Baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Answering a question asked in the photo gallery thread

Question posed:

"So, without wandering too far OT, and as charcoal may have been wondering, how is the low end, cervelorider? With floor coupling a similar style OB I made had decent low end (mine wasn't square and driver was off-center as Charcoal also asked). Without that, I could imagine it might get a bit thin."

Answer: Actually, these have the best bass of any single driver open baffle speaker I've ever heard. Recently, at a friend's house, as Randy in Caintuck can attest, the bass response of the Betsy full range driver elicited "whoa" responses from all three of us listening. Placement and room boundaries have as much to do with the bass as the driver and baffle though. My friend's smaller room sounded much better than my larger room. So...as with all things audio, your results may vary, but the off the ground design seems to be made up for by the large baffle surface.

Thanks for posting this, cervelorider. I've been looking at the Betsy and BetsyK for a while (I LOVE the way OB sound except for the sometimes lacking low end), just waiting for a little extra green in my wallet.

Oh, and as I said in the fullrange thread, they are truly beautiful! Love the black on birch.

Donkey Kong

Truly beautiful. How bout some more photos? And some measurements? And some thoughts about how they perform, where they are placed, and what you might do differently. Basically, I'm seeing a project that even I could pull off...and want to know more. Thanks sooooo much.

Answer: Actually, these have the best bass of any single driver open baffle speaker I've ever heard. Recently, at a friend's house, as Randy in Caintuck can attest, the bass response of the Betsy full range driver elicited "whoa" responses from all three of us listening.

I am here to attest ..... :D

The "whoa" response happened several times. The other neat thing about these speakers is that they had the effect of just making me close my eyes and soak up the front row performance that was taking place in the room ..... very natural, with a good blend of tone and detail across the entire frequency range.

Since my "MTM Betsy" project didn't turn out as well as expected, I now have a spare pair of Betsy drivers to play with.

Guess what I am going to build with them ..... ;)

Randy

Alright Randy! Can't wait to see the Donkey Kong II. :D

Urchin: Sorry, no measurements. Wouldn't tell you much anyway as the room and placement is everything when it comes to a speaker like this.
Placement is by taste and varies depending on the room. I had them at a friends house and his room sounded much different than mine.
There isn't much to the build. What you see is about it. Some short angled wings, hidden behind the "legs" is all I did for support on mine. The bottom needs to be angled back a bit. You'll need to engineer more bracing than I did if you have pets, kids or don't like to live dangerously. A swoopy L shaped bracket cut from a singlular piece of ply, on a piano hinge, would probably suffice.

Last edited:
Is the back of the Donkey Kong also perfectly flat? And I can't really see how you made the feet. They do, in fact, seem easy to tip....

Yes, the back is perfectly flat, except for the narrow wings that are about 1/3rd of the way up the back. Oh yeah....super tippy, especially on carpet.:eek:
My friend has them at his house, giving them a good work out, but when I get them back, I'll be adding a brace in the center back, with a piano hinge.

I'll be darned! Not what I was expecting...but glad to see that its a design I can handle! Very, very nice. And huge thanks for the photo! How 'bout some dimensions of those thangs. I mean, in inches...and how long are the legs. Yeah, those look pretty darn tipsy....but a third leg in the back would do the trick!

Last edited:
I bet you can manage w/o a third leg if you extend the wing on the floor. A nicely curved design wouldn't be too difficult to contruct, would get a longer leg on the floor, and still be fairly esthetic/unobtrusive from the side.

I'll be darned! Not what I was expecting...but glad to see that its a design I can handle! Very, very nice. And huge thanks for the photo! How 'bout some dimensions of those thangs. I mean, in inches...and how long are the legs. Yeah, those look pretty darn tipsy....but a third leg in the back would do the trick!

Yeah, wow, hard to believe the builder is happy with the results. He should have asked you guys before he tried anything. :rolleyes:

The OP certainly seems to be aware of what he was doing, but I guess that just isn't acceptable to some.

nice but why there is free space baffle to floor ?

PS sorry if I' m a little...
centered on baffle is not good, look like square size.. not good too

Hi,

Why try "making up" for an off the ground design with a "very large" baffle ?

You could do something with a piece of glass / acrlylic for the visual effect.

rgds, sreten.

acrylic ain't cheap.

but I give points for not making an anorexic open baffle !!!!!!!!!!!

3'8" wide = 18" from front driver edge to back driver edge.
dip at 376hz, nice +3 to +6db hump at 180hz, then gradually tapering off.
That's a free bass boost.
Otherwise you'd boost those 6db adding extra excursion and more distortion.

I'm sure it is very pleasing to the ears compared to 10-12" wide speaker boxes without baffle step.

I had an open backed box with Sd = an 8".
It was 19" deep and seemed to go lower than I'd expect it too.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.