Bookshelf with 2-3" wideband for tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looking to build a simple bookshelf sized speaker.. Small full range woofer and 2-3" wideband tweeter with one or two crossover components for the tweeter..

Nice amd simple Box.. No brainer, no work designing and already proven in DIY to be nicely balanced..

Thanks in advance, Joel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looking to build a simple bookshelf sized speaker.. Small full range woofer and 2-3" wideband tweeter with one or two crossover components for the tweeter..

Nice amd simple Box.. No brainer, no work designing and already proven in DIY to be nicely balanced..

Thanks in advance, Joel

Thanks, some interesting ideas. I did listen to the Linkwitz Orion for an evening..

Sorry, I missed some important criteria.. Looking for speaker with no crossover except for minimal high pass for tweeter and prefer tweeter is 2-3" wideband in such a speaker is out there...

Box size is small and simple box..

But I'm open to all ideas as its fun to see all thats possible.

Joel

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A simple XO on the wideband is doable, but finding a small midwoofer that naturally rolls off low enuff to make using a 3" wideband (3:ers are almost universally superior to the 2") will be a huge, if not impossible, task.

You might as well just go with a good 4" FR.

dave

Thanks Dave.. 4" could be the way to go

I would love to have heard many 4" full range drivers but have listened to a few and a coax as well. Not tones of experience but the few small full range seemed recessed in the mids and treble from coax wasnt very organic or natural..

Any suggestion for a 4" full range that has wide open mids and organic treb
le.. Natural bass presentation as well..

I'm ok with sins of onission at the extremes..

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Budget?

There are still a few EL70eN available, Alpair7.3 (tarted up or not). Fostex FF105wk is pretty good, we have it in a Woden double mouth BV-ML-V which extracts maximum bass, don't know how low they would go in a smaller box. FF125wk has proven itself (has a few issues, mostly treatable).

And Jeff mentioned Alpair 6.2p.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks Dave.. 4" could be the way to go

I would love to have heard many 4" full range drivers but have listened to a few and a coax as well. Not tones of experience but the few small full range seemed recessed in the mids and treble from coax wasnt very organic or natural..

I'm ok with sins of onission at the extremes..

Thanks

I love the sound of the Vifa TC9FD 3.5 inch. Has good bass in tml or horn.

Hi Joel.

I think it is nearly impossible without going active. The only woofers that will naturally end at the low side of a wideband is a 12 inch subwoofer. You are not going to have fast bass. The tweeter will need a capacitor the size of a beer can if you are using. Film. Your coils would be of similar dimension.unless you use coils with inductors and electrolytics...

Oon

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Joel,

You from the tech industry? :)

By OEM service you mean a comapny who will design/build the speaker for you?

to refine the point of Zia's post - is it the driver for which you're looking for an OEM? if so, expect long lead times and minimum order requirements for anything that's not off the shelf.

OTOH, there are literally dozens of "proven" designs for DIYers easily found in these fora - either free for personal use or, since many are designed with the use of licensed software, by paid subscription for commercial purposes

as to particular recommendations for a 3-4" driver for near-field use, or with supporting woofers for small 2 way, the first that come to mind are Fostex FF85 or 105WK, and the Alpair 6 or CHR70.

as noted by others, in this size class it's a lot easier to find a suitable wide-band than a mid-woofer that will naturally roll of low enough to avoid filtering the wide-bander in the middle of the area in which they work so very well - so a full 2-way XO of some form would be in order.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's for a future venture idea with a friend.. He would like to own the design and I can build some cabinets for him..

Our OEM idea is for off the shelf drivers if possible in 2 way cabinet design..

My background is working as a Licensed line Maintenance Electrician at car company, college Electronics diploma as well..

Since I'm out of said industry now because it moved to mexico I can persue my real passion of all things Audio and Music :)

Anyway, it seems there has been designs with 2-3" wideband tweeter..

Maybe I'm missing something but shure like reading the comments..

Thanks, Joel

Attachments

• technics.JPG
    technics.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 90
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The driver in the Technics is not a wide range, it is 2" cone tweeter. There have been some very good ones, but with the dominance of the dome these days they are VERY hard to find now. The XO in these was often a single cap on the tweeter, usually up around 4-10k .... a very different scenerio from what your original request was.

dave

Hi Joel,

Don't get me wrong. It can be done. I have the alpair6 and the alpair5 and a few other drivers that would make excellent candidates. One challenge you will need to overcome is the use of large caps and inductors if you want to cross low. For caps one way to get around it is to use bipolar electrolytics. You will need a few hundred microfarad. You can use a small film cap to bypass it for better sound quality. And for coils, to keep things economical, you would need an coil with a ferrite core. For a coil to cross at 200hz, the value would be 10 times higher than that for 2khz. Why don't you try out typical crossover calculator and see if the corresponding components in part express and see if you like the combo... its a bit more of a case that moving on to tha design would require components that make compromises to the sound quality. So it needs to be seen if the improvement in crossing low to the wideband justifies the poorer quality crossover...

Oon

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is no question it can be done, but Joel says he does not want to have a low pass, which does make it difficult.

The XO i am currently working on has a 100 uF cap and a 5mH choke.

dave

Yeh, no low pass and one cap for tweeter.. I think we made mistake in calling Cone Tweeter a wide band.. Sorry about that.. Now getting some things straight..

So, we want widerange mid woofer that rolls off naturally and Cone Tweeter..

I see 2 visation cone tweeter available and cheap enough..Anyone heard these? Sonic Characteristics?

Is there no woofer available that rolls off where the cone tweeter can take over?

I remember seeing a design(cant find now)with TAD1101h woofer with no low pass in a 2way and the review for it was very good..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.