Lowering wire diameter in inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I've almost finished the design phase of a new pair of speakers. For a midrange notch I'm using a 3.3uH coil. I don't need a low resistor coil because I need more than 7 Ohm total resistance in series with the coil, and I'll do the correct value by summing an appropriate resistor to the internal resistance of the coil.
I want to keep the cost of this coil down, so I could use or a cored coil or a small wire air core coil.
Is there a problem in using a small wire coil (e.g. 0.6mm) in this case?
Thanks, Ralf

A bit depends on the power you will have there... it is common to use the resistance of the winding to provide some R. The internal R of the coil may effect the Q of the notch slightly... but probably not enough to worry about. Is it a series notch or shunting notch?

And yes you could use an iron core coil, but I'd want it to be adequately sized so that it won't saturate on peaks. Of course for ultimate purity of sonics air core is best. But if ur looking to save some $$ then likely this isn't a no-holds-barred all out design, so no worries!

I'm bad at metric to AWG (US wire gauges) conversion but don't go too thin, or you will get heating in the coil. Otoh, decent coils are not terribly expensive, neither are resistors of good quality, so perhaps this is a false economy?

Just my opinions, without all the information about the design.

_-_-bear

You can just buy magnet wire and wind your own air core coil.
Probably cheaper... maybe not.

Probably you won't get any heating to worry about until you get the wire very thin and the resistance up a lot, but if ur getting a ohm or less in the inductor, then I would not worry.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.