you gotta be kidding !

Status
Not open for further replies.
This "book" has no cover. Looks like a chipamp, actually.
BYOB amplifier manual said:
As wood is a living material, it will naturally age, of course not in a degenerative but in a positive sense. As with any musical instrument, it must be played to develop its sound. The same is true for your BYOB amplifier. The more you play it, the better it gets.
and
The performance standard of your BYOB amplifier is A Performance Standard.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
After reading stuff like this:

Mother of Tone - The CD Format

I confess that I can't determine if this guy is a smart con artist or just ignorant and unaware.

But the PCB on a hunk of cheap wood for $1300 inclines me to the former.

Maybe an con artist ignorant of the underlying engineering...?

Gotta love the gold plated battery terminals, though. :)

~Tom

yep, yet another piece of subterfuge laden marketing speak for the unaware, or and this seems to be generally his type of customer, the rebel who thinks that there is magic available to the inspired 'designer' who chooses to subvert the dominant technological paradigm, but avoiding complexity of technical superiority. we have been discussing his silly little (similarly priced) portable music player over in the digital line level forums, where he managed to completely avoid most questions and confirm that his advertising is carefully worded to avoid speaking the truth.

again he claims to have created a work of genius that harnesses powers we mere mortals along with the worlds great technologists cannot hope to understand...

hes got to be having a laugh.... all the way to the bank

it seems there is no shortage of people willing to buy his propaganda based marketing materials, as well as the 'products'

Last edited:
What great Marketing scheme !!!

Throw it on a unfinished piece of wood with some gold connectors and say,

"It has the best sound ever !!!"

What A Concept !!!!!

:rolleyes: :worship: :headbash: :rofl: :wave: :rofl: :drink: :spin: :hypno2: :cloud9: :drink:

:cheers:

jer :)

P.S. "DO NOT REMOVE THESE SCREWS" as this will reveal the secret chip number and void the warranty !!!! Ahhhh,ha,ha,ha !!!

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
'Amusing to read the same old waffling about the horrors of PCM (digital) reproduction that were done to death back when it was
introduced in the early 1980s. It gives you some insight into the guy's mindset and perception of audio electronics - and a laugh!

On the product side, the trashy bits of wood thrown on as decoration are..uh..I dunno.. Words can't express how shallow this grab
for "greenness" seems. The trimmings add only a cynical edge to an already outrageously priced product, regardless of the technology.
I think he has achieved "brownness", actually and not because its wood!

It may even work well, battery power supplies remove a lot of costly design problems but it's only the board level assembly of an amp.
and looks like an apprentice carpenter's basic DIY project with overdone connectors. I suspect that the connectors are probably the
most expensive components.

5 years warranty eh? I guess it only applies to the electronics because the softwood won't make through in good shape, unprotected
and exposed to domestic mishandling. Still, it's only recycle laminated stock material...'wonder what price a replacement volume knob? :D

Expect clones on Ebay soon, at about $30 US. If nothing else, Chinese Ebay product shows us how easily we are suckered by snake-
oilers with similar low-cost minimalist products, a website and an incredible sales pitch that we somehow want to believe.

In any case, AC power may be convenient, but it makes our hifi-gear very expensive as soon as a - higher than standard - qualitiy is desired.
seriously, are spell checkers expensive too? maybe a 'qualitiy' one is? apparently making AC power gear is expensive, but not as expensive as making it battery powered and then not even including the battery....

everything on that board looks cheap, cheap RCA, cheap binding posts, cheap volume pot, cheap volume knob, yet its 900EU? I estimate 10EU in parts. its painful to read the website, wood makes everything better its seems. do you think it scares the RFI away?

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]But now that we have identified the simple law "Wood Sounds Good" we should also look from exactly the other direction: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]We need to know, what is absent in the design, not what is present.[/FONT]
well I guess this stuff must sound excellent!

what about the polypropylene caps? he says all plastic sealed wood instruments sound horrible and even the worst will sound better than the best modern instrument if you get rid of it, yet he appears to like plastic caps....

what is he gluing the PCB to the board with?

it appears he makes an ADC as well, complete with rants and how its the only good ADC in the world, well that makes it useful then? I expect he will take over the world. all digital is on cheap RCAs and with cheap switches, more plastic! eek! 16bit NOS ADC with -90db noise floor that 'sounds like a tape machine' excellent! I wonder if the phonostage is open to the air as well?

anyway this is too easy/boring, hes gotta be having a laugh and regardless of what we say, there will continue to be people that eat this sort of bull up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.