Maple/Mathematica/Matlab hornresp program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at modelling a horn response similar to what David McBean did in his 'hornresp' program, but using probably Maple or Mathematica. I would be interested to know if anyone else has attempted this. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I also am wondering what model David McBean used in hornresp. The only comment I can find is that his work is based on Olson's horn model. If anyone (David I don't know if you will read this) knows more about the specifics of what was put into the hornresp program in terms of the physics, assumptions and equations I would appreciate hearing about. As I hope to develop such a model in Maple and/or Mathematica, I will share my results after I have had a chance to check it against David McBean's hornresp program. My background is a Ph.D. in physics with a strong mathematical background. I have previously written programs in Maple and Matlab, and am trying to come up to speed in Mathematica.

Thanks for any help any one can offer.

I'd second the suggestion from jcx, consider the open source equivalents. I especially like the scipy/numpy/ipython/matplotlib/sympy tools and they really have come forward to be very viable and productive development environment recently and are very much aimed at scientific community wanting to just get in and be productive without having to worry too much about the programming side of things.

iPython is one tool I have really found very useful lately with its new features such as 'notebooks' that let you do development in a web browser and make prototyping blocks of code simple fast and interactive.

Thanks to all for reply on maple etc hornresp program

Thanks to all who responded so quickly to my post. Firstly, I already own copies of Maple, etc. My desire is to have a program that can be shared with enough detail to allow mods by knowledgeable users. I have modeled some of what is in Leach's book, and would like to get a good working model of a horn.

What David McBean has done is excellent (thank you, David for the reply). As a physicist I am interested in modeling and refining the model as I go along.

I don't know what the etiquette is, but if possible I would like to contact you, David, by email as I have some specifics to ask/share with you. Also, thanks all for info suggestions, I own most of the relevant texts, and have been in touch previously with Earl Geddes.

if possible I would like to contact you, David, by email as I have some specifics to ask/share with you.

Hi joeladis,

To contact me by email, click on my name on the Hornresp webpage. Please note though - while I am happy to discuss horn theory in general I am not prepared to release details of the specific models, techniques or algorithms used in Hornresp. Making the software available free of charge and providing comprehensive support to users, is the best that I can do :).

Kind regards,

David

Matlab Horn Program Zip File

As I promised in an earlier post (30 Nov 2012), this is the first installment of a set of programs I intend to make available to the DiY community. The Zip file, MatlabHornFiles.zip, contains a Matlab program that can be used to calculate the acoustic input impedance of a multi-segment horn that consists of any combination of cylindrical, conical and exponential segments. The Zip file also contains detailed instructions on using the Matlab program, which itself is heavily commented. The program should run on any platform on which Matlab runs. Please first read the 'Read Me First' and 'Disclaimer' files also contained in the Zip file.

Finally, I would like to thank David McBean for his communications that pointed me in fruitful directions, and for suggesting some minor corrections to what I intended to upload. I also appreciate his willingness to allow me to include comparison plots of the Matlab output with his Hornresp program.

Attachments

• MatlabHornFiles.zip
    462.7 KB · Views: 218
Second Installment of Matlab Horn Programs

Attached is a second installment of Matlab Horn programs. The first installment was posted earlier on this thread and runs independently of this posting. My primary aim in the attached Matlab programs was to address the isophase propagation issue in an exponential horn. I wanted to be able to reproduce what David McBean's Hornresp program does when the ratio of horn output circumference to cut-off wavelength exceeds 1.0 (David's Cir).

The attached Zip file, MatlabHornFilesII.zip, contains two new Matlab programs, IsoExp.m and InfExpHorn.m as well as some output and comparison plots and instructions.

The program should run on any platform on which Matlab runs. Please first read the 'Read Me First' and 'Disclaimer' files also contained in the Zip file.

Finally, once again I would like to thank David McBean for his communications that pointed me in fruitful directions, and for his willingness to allow me to include comparison plots of the Matlab output with his Hornresp program.

Attachments

• MatlabHornFilesII.zip
    480.6 KB · Views: 116

Hi, I've found your entry while looking for a similar answer to the same problem: building a GNU/Octave program to horn simulation.

Did you check that paper?

Geddes talks about the validity of the Webster equation and states that the horn equation is only valid for as long as the magnitude of the rate of change of sqrt(S) with x is smaller than unity (the tube flares slowly). It states Morse and Feshbach (pg.1352).

He also mentions Morse's "Vibration and sound". But he misses an important fact. On pg. 269 there is a simple calculation that shows that the conical, exponential and catenary horns *are* exact solutions of the Webster equation, but still the restriction of the rate of change of sqrt(S) with x applies.

I'll look at your Matlab code. Thanks for sharing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.