• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking to build my first tube amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Its probably been asked many times before, but please hear me out.

Iv built a gainclone and a few chip amps, i can use a soldering iron and a multimeter etc and i do have some electronic knowledge.

Im looking to build my first tube amplifier to power a pair of 8R bookshelf speakers. Power output doesnt need to be massive, maybe 5W per channel or something similar?

I dont want to spend hundreds, i want to experiment building my first tube amp so the more simple the better.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks

I'm designing a PCB layout for a PP 6LU8 tube set where the goal is 20-25watts/channel. The tubes are still inexpensive, I found 6 for $10.
It could use the transformer set from Edcore used for the big red board.
I have a set of Bogen 6.6k iron to try and several power transformers.
Have you ever done toner transfer etch resist for PCB fabrication?
What level of a build are you looking for? point to point, PCB, SET, PP any particular output tube family?
I'm planning on etching a PCB and stuffing it over Christmas vacation. I have a few components yet to scrounge for it. I have it designed for fixed or cathode bias, pentode, triode or UL on the outputs.... too many choices.....

Attachments

• spud2.jpg
    spud2.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 437
I'm designing a PCB layout for a PP 6LU8 tube set where the goal is 20-25watts/channel. The tubes are still inexpensive, I found 6 for $10.
It could use the transformer set from Edcore used for the big red board.
I have a set of Bogen 6.6k iron to try and several power transformers.
Have you ever done toner transfer etch resist for PCB fabrication?
What level of a build are you looking for? point to point, PCB, SET, PP any particular output tube family?
I'm planning on etching a PCB and stuffing it over Christmas vacation. I have a few components yet to scrounge for it. I have it designed for fixed or cathode bias, pentode, triode or UL on the outputs.... too many choices.....

Hi,

I have done toner transfers for PCB fabrication before. Im looking to build something P2P if its simple enough, but otherwise i suppose a PCB.

I am willing to build anything but im in the UK so the iron must be available here :)

Is there a basic p2p design that anyone can reccomend?

Maybe not as simple as Tubelab's SimpleSE, but I would recommend Gingertube's "Baby Huey" (search this forum). It can be wired easily P2P if you put the CCSs on small PCBs.
Also SY's red light district amp looks good as a beginner project.

A "Baby Huey" is still my main system and waits for something to beat it in size and sound quality (small size is a big part of the WAF).

Martin

I agree with Vincent77

You should keep a few electrolytic caps handy, because the ones right next to the tubes on your PCB will die young...

Since your PCB is already made, I would recommend you mount the vertical electrolytic capacitors on the bottom side of the board to keep them as far away from the radiated tube heat as possible. You maybe Ok top mounting the two smaller vertical electrolytic capacitors that are the furthest away from the tubes as it is hard to tell how close they actually are in the picture. If you choose to mount them on the bottom be careful about polarity when installing. Mickeystan;)

The caps go on the other side.............. of the PCB. I check component spacings and count, look for missing components prior to etching the PCB's. I use the brittle green florist foam to push the leads into to do a mock-up.
Example of the KEG-EAR amp in process attached.....

Attachments

• 1.5_pcb5.jpg
    1.5_pcb5.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 206
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.