MID-BASS help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
man what has happened to all the good 8" drivers?

just simply looking for a good SQ , high output 8" driver to fit in say 14-21L SEALED box

say 60 hz ish to 320 ish....

I either find ones that have no out capability, low xmax or wont go below 80
I mean ****.. my old AR's or Celstions would do low 60's and handle 200W+ and put out about 110 db..clean.

I know I'm just missing a gem out there.. yea the SS would probably work but not a $400 ea.. I'd like to sick to $200 a driver..
so far my best guess has been the visaton AL200..
any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated...

just simply looking for a good SQ , high output 8" driver to fit in say 14-21L SEALED box ....say 60 hz ish to 320 ish....

I just finished testing a 2-way with a HiVi M8a in a 20L Sealed Box (F3=57Hz). Quite an impressive driver. Nice mid-bass. F3 may seem a bit on the high side but being a Sealed Box, the lower bass sounds natural because the roll-off is gentler. A Bass Reflex, with it's steeper roll-off, sounds awful when the lower bass gets truncated.

What is equally surprising is the M8a can be crossed as high as 1,500Hz. It blended in nicely with my 1" compression driver, a Selenium D220Ti loaded with a B&C ME10 horn.

If you like a more dynamic/aggressive mid-bass, check out the Usher 8137A. This Usher reminds me of SS. I have it in a 25L Bass Reflex, crossed at 700Hz to the mid. It will sound even better when crossed lower (below 350Hz). If you can accommodate a 25L box, the Usher is a better option.

Regards
Mike

Attachments

• HIVI LMS SEALED BOX SIM.jpg
    HIVI LMS SEALED BOX SIM.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 215
  • USHER 8137A 25L PORTED_small.jpg
    USHER 8137A 25L PORTED_small.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 208
I looked at usher supposed to be good driver..
but i will run all my bass units sealed.. just way too hard to integrate a ported unit in my particular room.system.. the 12db roll off on a sealed works so much better and i don't need the unit to go below 60 really

my models show the usher 8137a but it's running out of excursion below 80 hz at my intended levels.

Last edited:
If stonking bass is your be-all and end-all of performance, then those old small box Celestions and AR closed boxes certainly delivered.

But you've forgotten how rough the midrange was and how low the crossover needed to be to keep cone-breakup to reasonable levels. They really don't make tweeters and high inductance heavy basses like that much anymore. :D

Small boxes tend to be reflex these days with all the usual slow but ample 6.5" bass.
CA18RLY/22TAF-G

It happens that the SEAS CA18RLY is happy enough with about 25 litres of closed box, though I expect you'll fry the nice little tweeter.

The standmounter WLM La Scala in 30 and 60 litres is a bit of a throwback to loud fun speakers, and good for 105dB SPL. Works in 15-20L closed box without too much bass extension and crosses over to tweeter at about 1.5kHz. Visaton W200S and TW 70 cone tweeter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've just realised, you'd end up with something a bit like the old Wharfedale Denton on closed box here with the Visaton. Be best away from the wall:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
but you've forgotten how rough the midrange was and how low the crossover needed to be to keep cone-breakup to reasonable levels. They really don't make tweeters and high inductance heavy basses like that much anymore.

YEA 60-320 IS HARDLY MIDRANGE that why I'm looking for mid bass driver

4 way fully active system.. the wink link now is that Dang midbass. may have to go to 10"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.