2 x 15W rms Audio Amp for small speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
15 watt amp

isn't 15watt too low for classAB anyway ?
Tinitus Iremember the days when a 10 watt amp could be heard for two miles from the source on a farm! Fifty years ago we were happy with 5 watts/channel class A with a EL84 output tube. 15 watts with two in push pull fed a large Railway station with sound. So if he need it for his office or home with his computer then I think 15 watts class a/b will be ample! THIS IS WHY A LOT OF US HAVE TINNITUS AND ARE HARD OF HEARING? (pun intended):wchair:

This is really interesting....Class A amplifiers seems to play louder

It is non sense, but 10 watts in class A plays very loud.

Please folks, i cannot understand because i am not addicted nor skilled with the stuff, why this happens.

I have perceived that when i have increased the Dx Super A to 700mA per rail quiescent current.... i found it louder.... really louder than another amplifier playing almost same level.... say.... watching in the waveform it looks the same..but the Class A was louder while listening.

Thid does not make sense to me.... can you explain...please

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
You can do it with a pretty standard Lin/Blameless type topology.. powered from 18V rails or so. Use your TIP41/42 as the output transistors, and 2N5401/2N5551 for everything else.
This is a blameless using those transistors you mention.
The power supply should use a transformer 2x15VAC, which will give like 20-21 VDC rails.
I have tested with SPICE. It should work.

Attachments

• tip41-42a.jpg
    tip41-42a.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 595
I think tha the ideal for me would be jean hiraga's ''le monstre'' class A 8 watt,as described in other threads here in the forum and here JEAN HIRAGA - Le Monstre Amplifier PCB ,on monday i m going to have two speakers 7 watt rms/4ohm rated each like the ones in the picture. I dont know if the result willl be remarkable but maybe it worths giving it a try...

Attachments

• PER.505223.jpg
    PER.505223.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Carlos - that's an interesting observation because Class A no-feedback tube amplifiers are often reported to sound louder and it is usually explained by their soft clipping but I never heard of a SS amp with feedback being accused of sounding louder before.

A Class AB 'blameless' is also my vote - like the one I made and linked in my post above. It was designed for low voltage rails. At really low voltage rails things need a bit of care because you start to lose some headroom and the LTP benefits from a current source like Lineup shows rather than the resistor I used.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My experience with recent small speakers is that they are now very inefficient, like 80-84 dB/W/1m, though this is hidden by their being fitted with dedicated amplifiers and not being required to disclose sensitivity.

Some small "professional" powered speakers with 5" woofers seem to require two 40W chips in each box. Because they need to trade off so much mid/treble sensitivity for bass, frankly, I don't think you'll quite get the power you may need there. Your 15W plan seems more promising. Just aim to do whatever an LM1875 chip does in discrete format and you should be on target for a wide range of small commercial boxes.

I should aim at something like classic 3 stage topology like Bigun and Lineup mentioned before.This is my design but then comes in mind some more questions like:should i use current mirror in LTP? or a buffer in VAS? or some kind of cascode?or Sziklai output due to lower quiscent current than EF output? or they are to much for such a simple application?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 330
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.