The human race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Looking at the apocalyptic thread,

A question comes to mind, One of the biggest threats to the planet etc has got to be mankind?

If man was to suddenly vanish...what would happen to earth?
How long would it take before "human like or similar" was seen again on earth? :confused:
What would be the next (if any leading life form)?
Or would earth end before anything happened?

Regards
M. Gregg

I'd say our biggest threat at the moment, with 7 billion people on the earth, is a sudden plague on any number of food crops.

I don't see the current financial system lasting for much longer either, not with 7 billion lives to finance, if I can't get a job to save my own skin then how difficult is it in the rest of the world? What happens when we run out of innovation?

The lack of new ideas could very well end up being the final nail in the coffin, if we cannot invent new things for people to buy then how will the entire economic system continue?

Will corporations gobble up all of the patents and stifle innovation in the name of greed, will that end up being the final nail?

Imagine if you will if Corn died off suddenly, count how many products have corn, if you expected very few, think again, its the majority of products on your shelves that contain corn.

There is/was a great deal of panic over the bees dying off, yet we are still here, why? Most likely its because farmers have pulled together inorder to deal with the issue, its not solved though!

This is a good show about the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tNcmcoJkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OlIelAWikWQ#t=51s

You could put all of those reasons up into a cookie jar and take bets on what one will be the right one, but it still doesn't make a ton of difference in the grand scheme of things, me personally, I'm preparing, preparing for a relativley comfortable low power and low caloric intake existence.

As with the cost of electricity is now skyrocketing, and the price of food too, its inevitable that I will have the need to do this soon anyway.

I know one thing though, I'll still be enjoying music/movies/tv shows after its all gone.

low power computing, Battery technology and solar power tech has pretty much guaranteed this.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

If man had to live on the moon...that would limit expansion...If man was only allowed to visit earth for a holiday..ie no industry allowed..

Sounds silly, however we think earth is infinite...are we no better than locusts?
Move in strip it and leave..(You can do anything when there are only a few locusts). We look at china..and take no notice..however their problems are our problems...its just we haven't seen them over here yet.

We have been very lucky so far..we can invent our way out of problems. (At the moment). I do believe we will do nothing until on the brink..
I also think the things we do to try to stop it will all appear to be lip service (To little to late)..the more we do the more it will seem like this, because the real issues are never targeted..(It effects industry and commerce)

Isn't man self pre-occupied well it won't happen in my life time so hey lets party...(if it does then at least we had a good time)
Don't get me wrong yes I like to party as well. How long does the combustion engine have left? Look at the finance effect to remove it...who wants to race an electric car??? No matter what we do its going to go against the grain. Me included.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just think what the new industrial revolution is going to do..

The revolution based upon making money..not eco friendly...in MUCH larger areas..Across China etc...then the wars that could follow..people always want something from someone who has money..when they have nothing there is no interest in them...

Here is another laugh..the world government...we can't even do a good job of our countries...the Monty Python sketch comes to mind as they all argue about finance...the years pass..still finance...etc.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Sounds silly, however we think earth is infinite...are we no better than locusts?

When I see how selfish people are yes I believe this, and its everyone, all of us, that are selfish and wasteful, none of us are innocent.

Move in strip it and leave..(You can do anything when there are only a few locusts). We look at china..and take no notice..however their problems are our problems...its just we haven't seen them over here yet.
China is the next biggest threat to our way of life, they have an enormous population and are trying to move into a modern western society, granted they as human beings have the right to do this however I question wether or not it will actually be possible for them to do this without going into a world war inorder to shake off their massive population!

Which frankly makes me nervous.

We have been very lucky so far..we can invent our way out of problems. (At the moment). I do believe we will do nothing until on the brink..
Bingo, this won't last forever, LED's won't save us all (not if companies continue to make them shoddy and unreliable, and they will, because they are a corporation!)

We are our own worst enemy and we have already fallen on our own sword, only the heart hasn't stopped beating just yet.

I also think the things we do to try to stop it will all appear to be lip service (To little to late)..the more we do the more it will seem like this, because the real issues are never targeted..(It effects industry and commerce)
Thats all that we really CAN do, if we do anything more substantial then there would be apsolute mass riot over the loss of ceritan necessities/luxuries, it just can't be done without having the countries population that you govern revolt against you and label you as a communist/rebel.

People in western society want their loaf of bread, want their frozen food, want their 5 seat car that gets 10-20mpg but only carries 1 person on average, want their air conditioning, want their full cream fresh milk delivered daily (instead of powdered milk which lasts for months), want their newspaper, want their lottery ticket, want their entertainment (for free if possible), want their leather seats, want their new technology.

And all they'll give back is high priced labor, meanwhile china undercuts this basis of our western society by pumping out literally millions of tons of products that don't last much longer than a single year.

Worst part is of all this? Nobody actually knows or cares what happens, because if they speak out about it they are labelled a rebel/terrorist and they just want you to shut up and stop meddling with their understanding of how things work.

People will react violently at any change in their understanding of the world, people only want a comfortable easy life, they don't want to deal with this crap.

The world F***** up and now my generation have to foot the bill.

Geez, why did we have to have so many damn kids? I feel like I'm the janitor after the end of the worlds biggest orgy, and I wasn't even invited to the party...:D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
:D:D:D

Yes how to do the right thing and still be able to party..its a real problem isn't it..

LMAO..I think we are stuffed...unless the animals rise up against us..:confused::D
I do feel sorry for them they just want to have fun..we want to party until the world ends..

Regards
M. Gregg

:D:D:D

Yes how to do the right thing and still be able to party..its a real problem isn't it..

LMAO..I think we are stuffed...unless the animals rise up against us..:confused::D

The ants HAVE been rather nasty this year, every person that I know has had a very huge problem with ants in their house this year.... :eek:

I do feel sorry for them they just want to have fun..we want to party until the world ends..
I hope I'm one of the lucky ones that survive with my sanity intact.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010

I hate to say it.. Its looking a bit like a black hole..we are on the event horizon..the inside is Alice in wonderland..I guess it must have felt a little like that in the middle of WW2...Everyone wants it to stop, nobody realy know what its all about and just can't understand why they can't just grow their potatoes in the garden and relax..

The question is back to what is reality..its what ever the world forces us to do..I hope we get out of this feeling of being washed along the river with the current..

:D:D perhaps its because we all expect something to happen (2012):D:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I hate to say it.. Its looking a bit like a black hole..we are on the event horizon..the inside is Alice in wonderland..I guess it must have felt a little like that in the middle of WW2...Everyone wants it to stop, nobody realy know what its all about and just can't understand why they can't just grow their potatoes in the garden and relax..

Told that to a guy who ran out of money for food recently and had bought a large bag of rice a few years ago as a survival means, he realised rather quickly (on the first day) that he cannot live on a bowl of rice per day or even two.

But he was the smuggest bastard for those few years, "oh yeah I'm prepared"..heh, not.

Its all about what you will eat vs having the storage space to store it and the brains to not store food in containers that rats/mice/cockroaches can eat through.

I'm through F****** around with people who won't shake off their own dumb ignorance and realise/look at the facts.

The question is back to what is reality..its what ever the world forces us to do..I hope we get out of this feeling of being washed along the river with the current.
My reality is defined by what I want to do, not what others want me to do, the only thing that alters that are laws, and I follow laws on a moral basis.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
My reality is defined by what I want to do, not what others want me to do, the only thing that alters that are laws, and I follow laws on a moral basis.

Well yes as long as..a virus dosen't alter reality...or nuclear fall out..or war..or genetic problems..etc..Like Alice..Alice is still Alice however wonderland has an effect..(And can destory Alice)..Cause and effect..:)

The air we breath is not in our control etc. We are in a goldfish bowl...if someone dosen't change the water..its lights out..even if we hide in our Toy house..Not counting natural disaster..Which only needs to be local (not global)to have an effect..

Of corse this is all in Fun.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Well yes as long as..a virus dosen't alter reality...or nuclear fall out..or war..or genetic problems..etc..Like Alice..Alice is still Alice however wonderland has an effect..(And can destory Alice)..Cause and effect..:)

Indeed, the only reason we have laws and rules is because humanity has decided to enforce them, even if its only a small part of our overall population that are making the rules, people will enforce them because they are told to do so.

Which is why I have a stance of being my own boss, if I screw up its my own fault, if I make good then its my own success.

The air we breath is not in our control etc. We are in a goldfish bowl...if someone dosen't change the water..its lights out..even if we hide in our Toy house..Not counting natural disaster..Which only needs to be local (not global)to have an effect..

Of corse this is all in Fun.. :)
I tend to believe that only if we manage to severely screw up the environment that yes someday we could all have to live in hermetically sealed homes with scrubbers to clean the incoming air with sealed air locks to access the outside world, with vending machines for oxygen/filtered air, but thats only if we manage to keep it together and live under big brother and inside extremely dense populated cities.

Kind of like how its depicted in this FF music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v_OHJxN9C1Y#t=153s

Frankly I believe that humanity won't be humanity anymore if it comes to that, the genetic nature of our existence won't be the same as it was 50 years ago or even as it is today.

People like me will probably end up being murdered at that point to cater for people who are more reliable and more dependable for slave-wage jobs and slave-wage level of incomes.

But a human being is suprisingly dynamic.

Last edited:
The Twilight Zone episode called "The Shelter" is a pretty good depiction I reckon of the level of selfishness and insanity that people will go to inorder to maintain their own survival, and this would be a low grade invasion of your home where the ideal set of circumstances had occured, ie where you could maintain control over the situation simply by pointing a gun towards the door and opening fire as soon as someone comes in. and threatening beforehand.

Imagine what its like if you had an ordinary home with no bomb shelter/panic room, they would be in the same room as you in a split second if you take away the threat of getting caught by causing noise or getting caught by the cops, imagine if you will a world without police.

Even your own home wouldn't be safe.

"We were spared a bomb today, but I wonder, if we weren't destroyed even without it"

Yeah.. the image/perception of control, of civilization had been destroyed.

"For civilization to survive, humanity has to be civilized".

Hence why I intend upon going portable, for everything that I own, but a laptop cannot possibly be powerful enough, or come to the level of storage that I require (12TB), and yet still have the same power consumption of a Core i3 2120-T, hence the move towards rackmounted aluminium roadcases.

Last edited:
Given that evolution has not got a long-term goal other than survival to the next generation I don't think we would be replaced by another technological savvy species were we to vanish overnight.
It happened once in 3 billion years of life on this planet, the chances of it happening again are vanishingly small.

Similarly I have no doubt that there is life on other planets but I but the chances that it is multi-cellular or even intelligent as we understand it are very, very small indeed.
It took less than 100 million years for life to evolve here once the conditions were right but it took a further 2 billion years for that life to become multi-cellular.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I wonder,

How long it would be if mankind vanished to remove all evidence that we existed..or if there would be structures still standing.. ?????? years later..:confused:

When we look at the solar system..our reality is more like a dream. A mirage in the desert..Imagine travelling to some where and suddenly finding earth..would it be a surprise?:eek:...I should think it would be a shock from what we see out there now...

Do you see a time when money would be outdated? It seems to be the driving force at the moment..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Given that evolution has not got a long-term goal other than survival to the next generation I don't think we would be replaced by another technological savvy species were we to vanish overnight.
It happened once in 3 billion years of life on this planet, the chances of it happening again are vanishingly small.

Agreed, unless of course aliens exist.

Similarly I have no doubt that there is life on other planets but I but the chances that it is multi-cellular or even intelligent as we understand it are very, very small indeed.
You should meet up with Carl Sagan, maybe watch a few movies, maybe Cosmos - A Personal Voyage.

It took less than 100 million years for life to evolve here once the conditions were right but it took a further 2 billion years for that life to become multi-cellular.
True, I tend to believe that complete extinction of the human race is impossible at this point in our evolution, and that a severe culling of the worlds population is in our future. That doesn't necesserially mean that we will be wiped out, we could end up going back to a world environment where only 5% of the land mass in the entire world is inhabited and where economies are no longer money based.

Last edited:
I wonder,

How long it would be if mankind vanished to remove all evidence that we existed..or if there would be structures still standing.. ?????? years later..:confused:

Oh thats an easy one to answer, you just need to look at the ruins of pripyat to answer that, it takes a mere 10-20 years before the pavement gives way to endless grassland and for the windows of buildings to be blown out by storms (and not be replaced = lack of window repairers).

Yep, 10-20 years before it starts looking like a grassland and most man made objects are beyond repair and need demolishing.

Without constant daily maintenance, suspension bridges will collapse rather quickly.
Skyscrapers will become bird breeding houses within 10 years.
Subways will become underground fishtanks within 1 day.
Clocks will last maybe 10,000 years: http://longnow.org/clock/

About the only thing that will be left standing to last within 3 generations post-collapse will be structures made out of stainless steel or brass/copper, that is if they aren't melted down for apparent scrap value at any time in the future.

When we look at the solar system..our reality is more like a dream. A mirage in the desert..Imagine traveling to some where and suddenly finding earth..would it be a surprise?:eek:...I should think it would be a shock from what we see out there now...
I don't necesserially discount other people's perception of reality but I also don't adopt their belief systems, to me I am a brain with a couple of optical and audio receptors and a very advanced tactile response system, and as soon as computers become advanced enough I'm jumping ship from this biological body, its simply a sound idea for the eventual ultimate gain of immortality to have at the very least a backup of yourself on computers.

This would lend itself towards interplanetary travel, even global travel, in the blink of an eye, depending upon how much latency there is and what kind of interface you can gain access to at the destination that you want to travel to. If for example there are empty robotic units located in the USA you could obtain a virtual visa and travel to the USA within 30mins, or to mars within a few hours.

Do you see a time when money would be outdated? It seems to be the driving force at the moment..
Yes, Indeed, I am quite well versed in Star Trek, its a noble cause however I have thought about this a great deal and as far as I am concerned there always needs to be a substitute, in the Star Trek world money has been replaced by trading and the procurement of raw/precious metals (Latinum)

Frankly I think thats the best method, it prevents the buildup/attainment of large enormous sums wealth that don't even exist, you think gold futures have any basis in reality? nope, course not, our economies have grown far greater than what they truly are in reality.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Regards money,

We are the only species that use it as far as we know.:confused:

Perhaps because we don't have a genetic hierarchy...different types of people for different things..accepting male / female.

I guess from the point of extinction..we could leave in a space ship (perhaps to the moon) and come back after something like the dinosaur event...(When it was safe).

From the point of dangers to the world...what is the most significant still seems to be mankind..and persuit of.....wealth..(Progress in disguise). If we leave the world alone we don't have a problem<<however thats not going to happen is it..

One thing for sure if the corn died out everyone would be thin without the corn starch in the fizzy drinks.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
As time goes on, it is becoming too late...on a global scale humans are not so different from a drug addict, who will sell and burn anything just to get some more drug; the drug being the oil/gasoline. It will go on until an overdose. Nobody is really interested to stop it or change anything, just as the drug cartels aren't interested to stop selling the drug or inventing the cure and telling people that they can also live without it...Earth can be saved only if two things happen, and it better be in the near future:
1. Aliens come and straight things out
2. Somebody invents a true source of clean and abundant energy, which can be used by anyone so no-one can take a monopoly over it
The second solution is more likely, but the irony is that "inventing it" need research, research needs money and the "drug cartel" has it..The story ends here, we are running in loops...
p.s. If nothing better comes around, then at least uranium reactors could be replaced with thorium ones...But, they can't be used to produce plutonium, so nobody's interested...i
Which brings us to solution 1, or we are doomed...

The ants HAVE been rather nasty this year, every person that I know has had a very huge problem with ants in their house this year.... :eek:

holy ****! are you serious?

this was my place around xmas and thats nothing, thats just what was left by the time I got the spray and camera, weve had 2 more events too this year, both those the larger type. i've never seen anything like it, I thought it was just the new place, we moved, so I didnt really confer with friends about it. all of the drawers were packed with them, the top mainly ants, the rest mostly eggs and workers shifting them around, scared the crap out of me I was just looking for those jewel cases.

"I, For One, Welcome Our New Insect Overlords" - The Simpsons - YouTube

more on that theme, 3rd gen and 4th gen nuclear is looking good right about now, I dont think people will get behind solar enough and its not suitable for everywhere.

indeed... pestilence and greed, not talking about the ants

I did not feel good about it either, but one drawer was full of old film and photos, I paused but I figurte they dont have any problem with numbers.... it was only then that it really clicked where the word insecticide came from :(

Attachments

• insecticide 04.jpg
    insecticide 04.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 87
  • insecticide 05.jpg
    insecticide 05.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 91
  • insecticide 06.jpg
    insecticide 06.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Status