Simple, low noise power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a first project, I built an ESP P05B (dual rail). It works nicely, but I also need a 9v single rail supply (for a condenser microphone) and 12v single rail for a phono preamp. They are to replace a battery in the first case, and a cheap 'wall wart' in the second case.

Can I use just the + side of another P05B? Or is there something even simpler that I can put together as a point-to-point? I found some designs, but I don't know enough to identify which will be best soundwise. What do you think?

http://electroschematics.com/6986/simple-12v-dc-power-supply-circuits/
http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/lm-317-power-supply

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
that LM317 is easy to hardwire on proto matrix board, and easy
you only need to know the adjust values to get the right voltage
but no problem
I did this a few weeks ago, first time
nothing fancy, but its a fun and easy project

btw very small print trafos doesn't cost much
and I would suggest some bigger caps after the reg(4x 1000uf maybe ?)

I would suggest two boards
one with fuse/trafo, bridge and first smoothing
and another boardwith reg and 'cap battery'

trafo away from sensitive curcuit
and reg closer

Attachments

• IMG_7706.JPG
    IMG_7706.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_7714.JPG
    IMG_7714.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 671
The diode is to prevent the capacitor after the regulator from driving the regulator in reverse it the main supply collapses for whatever reason.

Placing a capacitor after the reg will not affect the regulator response speed, that is set by the internals of the regulator, on the contrary it will slow the rate of load change thereby reducing the speed that the regulator has to respond to a change in load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.