JBL 2241H subwoofer - makes buzzing noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if any one here is familiar with these woofers and can tell me what is the most likely cause of this buzz. The leads don't seem to be hitting anything. It starts to buzz at about 1-2 mm excursion one way. I think the sound comes from behind the dustcap, but it also kind of sounds like it's coming from the surround on the side that has the leads.

I don't want to cut out the dustcap, only to find out that the sound comes from the surround or somewhere else.

Gently but firmly push the cone in and out (push cone out from the underside near the voice coil for "out") and check for rubs.

You can be very firm in doing this, don't be shy!

Any rub is a very good indication of either voice coil damage or magnet movement.

A fail on this test would lead me to stripping the driver down.

If you have used this woofer for a long time then definately the ends of the coil has blackened and lost its adherence to the former (Kapton or Fibreglass) which creates a buzzing sound after 1 or 2 mm of cone movement i.e when it comes under the magnetic gap. If it is so then it calls for stripping down & replacing the coil.

I think the sound comes from behind the dustcap, but it also kind of sounds like it's coming from the surround on the side that has the leads.
I don't want to cut out the dustcap, only to find out that the sound comes from the surround or somewhere else.
Hi Jimmy,

The way you describe your problem, I think ajazz explanation is most likely. When you power your drivers with a too high RMS signal over a long time, your coil is going to 'glow' and turns the adhesives (used on the Voice Coil to keep it on place on the former/piston) into powder. The only way to check this is to cut off the dust cap. In case you find the evidence (usually looks like white powder), the driver will need a recone. If not, the dustcap is the easiest and cheapest to replace.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice.
I was thinking of carefully cutting the dust cap out and then gluing it back on, if I found the problem and fixed it.

I tried pressing on where the foam and surround meet and that did not stop the vibration.
I also tried pressing other parts that were moving but that just caused buzzing against my fingers :D

I have had several JBL drivers where the spider comes loose from the voice coil in a small spot and that causes a buzzing, clicking sort of sound. the glue used on the Spider/VC seems to dry up and crack and the spider will break free in a small area and as the cone moves outward, the spider clicks as it moves on the VC former. doesn't do it on the inward moment as the spider is compressed by the cone.

I have had several JBL drivers where the spider comes loose from the voice coil in a small spot and that causes a buzzing, clicking sort of sound. the glue used on the Spider/VC seems to dry up and crack and the spider will break free in a small area and as the cone moves outward, the spider clicks as it moves on the VC former. doesn't do it on the inward moment as the spider is compressed by the cone.

Thanks buddy :hug:
It wasn't the spider, but after I check the spider closely, I started to check the surround, more carefully. Looks like where the surround meets the cone there are a series of cracks that go around the cone and make noise.

What kind of glue can I use to fill the crack? Or what kind of glue is used to glue between the cone and the surround?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.