Heat Sink Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read many of the different posts about how to select a heat sink based on power supply rating, chip specs, enclosures, etc. What I have not been able to find out is if there is a way to determine the thermal dissipation of a heat sink I already have. I have LOTS of them, actually. So I don't really want to have to purchase one if one that I have will perform as I need it to. Would it be as easy as looking up the chip that the heat sink came with and comparing the needed dissipation to the chip that I am using(LM4780)?

If anyone has any secret codes or great wisdom to figure this out besides trial and error, I would greatly appreciate the sharing of your accumulated knowledge.

This is my first amp project, so please formulate your answers accordingly. I am in school now, and still trying to learn how to use all the information my brain is soaking up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.