Remote Toroidal Transformer !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If building a F4 or F5 is it possible to construct the amplifier with all the components installed in the enclosure except the transformer ? What I would like to do by removing the transformer would allow me to use a smaller enclosure. The CRC and rectifier section would remain in the amplifier chassis. :confused:

Hi, I'm planning on something similar but for a F5T V3.
In my case, I'm planning to have the entire power supply in a separate case, since I don't want the caps to be unnecessarily heated up by the class A amp.
However, I do realize that i probably have to add a cap or two in the amp case.
Is the recommended cap size after such a configuration about 10% of the amount of capacitance in the main power supply?

Would there be any chance of noise or some type of interference ?

If the power supply CRC arrangement is located along with the rest of the amplifier, it will filter noise (at least at higher frequencies) picked up on the feeds from the transformer secondary. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I have used this approach before with amplifiers and PS built into small bookshelf loudspeakers. This left no room for the transformer, so I bought some 3 conductor power cable, terminated it with Neutrik PowerCon connectors, and located the transformer in a small enclosure several meters away. This worked pretty well and I can easily build another speaker and use the same transformer again just by disconnecting the PowerCon cable and plugging it into the new speaker.

-Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.