Woden Vampyr-V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
have managed to keep a set of FF105wKeN for our own testing.

Instead of building another set of Fonken (which will happen eventually) it was decided to do another of Scott's designs, Vampyr-V. A development from his Spawn BVR, pushing for results with the small Fostex he came upon the idea of a Big Vent Mass Loaded Voigt. This may be the 1st time this has been done.

I have a gut feeling this design has been under-appreciated and this build is to test that hunch. Originally designed for FE103e then vetted for FE103En, Scott thinks FF105wk will work even better.

Chris has by this time, buttoned up the boxes, here are a couple iPhone snaps -- they will get a coat of clear and then we'll have a listen.

attachment.php

And the drivers that are going in:

FF105wKen-blue-w-copper.jpg

dave

Attachments

• vampyr-V-layout.jpg
    vampyr-V-layout.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,884
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Next set of pictures that have escaped from the shop.

attachment.php

The supraBaffle with extended trailing edge in place, the fin for mounting the aluminum outriggers that will create a triangular footprint, and a posed view (we'll get a picture with someone standing next to for scale -- after Victor and Maeshowe, these are diminuative)

Chris has gotten a stain to match the driver... it will be interesting to see how the maple takes it.

dave

Attachments

• vampyrV-2-comp.jpg
    vampyrV-2-comp.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,640
The big variable radii on the back side looks very nice, but way too much work. Why not cut at 90 degrees and put a 1/4" rad on the exposed bits?:2c:

jeff

oh, the "fingernail" profile is easy on a router table, or even for that matter by hand - it's the aesthetics - Dave usually leaves those details to the builder, and it turned out clunkier than I thought - looked worse freestanding than on the bench

GM

Joined 2003
At the WLs involved, it should be shaped like a Frisbee complete with its ~238? deg edge round over and scalloped rear, at least it's what seemed best overall back when I was testing many different horn mouth terminations, though JMLC's ideal round over may be more mathematically correct, but that would take some careful measurements to confirm and I doubt it would be audible.

Regardless, either would look better/more organic to me.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris asks:

I'm second guessing myself on the aesthetics of 3 layers of supra-baffle, whaddya all think of thinning it down to eliminate the flat middle layer so the edge profile will be more continuous?

The deeper it is the better acoustically. If you want to change it out, how about extending it backwards in an ever decreasing "radius" until it peters out near the back leaving a "teardrop" shape?

dave

The deeper it is the better acoustically. If you want to change it out, how about extending it backwards in an ever decreasing "radius" until it peters out near the back leaving a "teardrop" shape?

dave

We've talked about that before - the more I second guess myself on the visual aesthetics, the more paralyzed I become ;) . I think that'd be fine on larger enclosures, but with the scale of this one would destroy its colt-like elegance

Think Reshma Shetty vs Selma Hayek

Cool - reminds me of the Lotus for CHR-70.

same bloodline

Can't say I like the color though; natural was looking better.
I was trying to match the treated cones - untreated the surface of new Fostex dual layer paper cones are grey, with which Dave can't help himself experimenting

with a little coaxing, d'ya think Zabu could strike a Nipper pose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.