Eagle CAD wont print thermals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I`ve been trying to print a design of mine for a prototype DIY project and i I just want to print the top. vias and pads layers, but I found out that whenever I try to Print a design that contains a groundplane made with the polygon command with the thermals option activated, the thermals or traces inside a pad won't print, I know I'm not being very explicit, but my english is not so good so
perhaps a couple of images will clarify everything for you. please help me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

is there any way to merge those designs

Well while the in fact the thermal spokes are connecting to the ground plane, i need to know if theres a way for the thermal pads and traces to pass through the via holes and still be visible, thus allowing me to solder more quickly and easily as this is for a homemade project. maybe this image from EAGLE's preview will clarify further.

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work

Thanks But, I've already tried to output to a PDF with no success, it doesn't matter how i print it,, i always get the same results, it's really bothering as it displays correctly on the preview screen but the output file or documents are wrong.

Why do you want it printed that way, the second picture in post #1 is correct for a copper artwork with drill holes showing, the pads are connected to the planes with thermal spokes. That is the standard way Gerbers are output. If you want to use the annulus pads for centering your drills you would be better with a smaller inner circle, it is used in the same way as centre punching a hole, it will guide3 and centre your drill.

I was really hoping for other actual Solutions to OP's Specific question. I am just a Hack when it comes to board layout and appreciate learning layout technique. I hope that a Professional layout person can share their experience here. It is really useful to know how to place unusual Copper shapes into a design.

For putting down copper shapes you need some advice from someone who uses the same CAD package as you do for layout. I use Cadstar, so I cant comment on how Eagle works. But in Cadstar you add a template (a closed polygon) and pour copper into the template. You set up any thermal relief, spke width, sliver width etc as part of the template properties, allowing for differing properties for different copper shapes.

Just out of interest what sort of copper shapes do you want to put down and for waht.
And secondly if you wanna learn PCB design here is a link to an tool that all PCB designers I know have on their desktop.
http://www.saturnpcb.com/pcb_toolkit.htm

Post #43 has a text file with numerous PCB designrelated links.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...i2s-digital-signal-path-line-resistors-5.html

An electronic design forum with a good section on PCB design and a lot of Eagle information:
http://www.edaboard.com/

Any questions on PCB design, manufacture or assembly just as ask, general ones I should be able to answer, and there are plent of eagle users who can answer eagle specific.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.