Baking a pcb for removing moisture

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One receiver pcb of 433.92 MHz has absorbed moisture and works when heated. So I want to bake it in a heated oven. Only one component I see that can be of issue is the adjustable inductor. How much temperature should I set and how long should I bake it.

Thanks in advance.

Gajanan Phadte

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've washed and dried countless PCB's over the years. Around 50C is safe as long as there are no batteries on the PCB. The trouble with many ovens (domestic) is that they overshoot the set temperature by as much as 30 to 50% so be careful.

Best is keep in sunlight for a day, but don't forget to bring it back home before evening.

btw, How many PCBs are you dealing with such problem? and how do you know that its a moisture problem. did you heat any before ? sometimes with such tuned circuits, heat deviate the values which can make it work.

It is the car central locking remote receiver, one off.

It is only the coil that I am worried of and with my place(Goa) having humidity above 90% always, this usually is the problem after 2 or 3 years.

I even remember MW oscillators failing for the same reason.

Gajanan Phadte

It is the car central locking remote receiver, one off.

It is only the coil that I am worried of and with my place(Goa) having humidity above 90% always, this usually is the problem after 2 or 3 years.

I even remember MW oscillators failing for the same reason.

Gajanan Phadte

Hi,
After having dried your PCB, have you considered giving it an application of conformal coating? You would need to mask any areas that may be affected by the product before applying, especially switches, buttons and battery contacts.

This is a good preventive measure. I am going to remove/mask the coil and coat it with PU coat meant for pcbs, after drying.

There r no switches, buttons or battery contacts, except the four connectors which r easy to cover up.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.