minidsp ADC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to get myself an active crossover as I'm moving into 2-way (and up) speakers systems from full range systems.

I have a question about the ADC part of the minidsp. I have a sizeable collection of vinyl, cassettes and like listening to analogue radio. Please can any users, or even the maker, give me any insight to the quality of this part of the system? I'd hate to go active only to degrade 3/4 of my music sources

Many thanks in advance

James

do you mean the actual chip?

if not the minidsp changes all info from analogue into digital (ADC), then applies the processing (dsp, crossovers etc) and then from digital back into analogue (DAC)

What type of volume control does the control provide? Is it a reduction in data bit depth or a 'proper' volume control?

JRKO - my system routing is: turntable - step-up - phono amp - pre-amp - minidsp - power amps. I don't use the volume control in the minidsp. I control it on the pre-amp. I have loads of gain and you do have to be careful to get the gain at each stage right. There's a good article on getting the gain structure right somewhere here at diyaudio.

A proper implemented digital volume control is better than >90% of the traditional volume controls

but if this is a lossy control it isn't 'properly implemented'. Its not like a passive volume control which changes the voltage level but leaves the entire signal intact, its a SQ filter stripping bits as you move away from 100%.

If you want to listen at quiet levels and have a high efficiency system could end up playing mp3 on your top quality system ;)

Is there any further info on the volume control knocking around?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.